1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you...

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by NannyMaureen, Mar 19, 2016.

1. NannyMaureen

NannyMaureen New commenter

Hi,
    ( new user) Can anyone advise me on the use of images off the Internet and not get in trouble with copyright?
    I have hand drawn my own versions of cartoons to create a new image. Is this an infringement or can I now claim as my own?
    Also, I have seen cartoon images from the internet being used with resources. How can you do this? Thanking you in advance
    Mo

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Have look at the FAQs here @NannyMaureen . Come back and ask if there's anything you still need to know.

3. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Some people pay for clipart (you need to check the license allows commercial use).

If you're happy drawing your own images I'd say that's your best option as all the other options have complications of one kind or another.

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

However if it's a clear copy of someone else's work then it's not overly ethical and could be open to a challenge if they see it!!! E.g. it would be very unwise to copy Disney characters, or well-known cartoon characters/toys etc.

5. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Of course, though breaking copyright law might be a greater concern than the ethics. When I say your your own - that's what I meant - as in draw your own, not somebody else's.