1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you write a good TA application letter

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Kazzer49, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Hi everyone
    I'm interested in a TA vacancy in a local school, have been to see it and looks great. How do I write a good application letter? Is it meant to be like a teaching one, ie long and formal, or just about me?
    Any help greatly appreciated x

2. Hi everyone
    I'm interested in a TA vacancy in a local school, have been to see it and looks great. How do I write a good application letter? Is it meant to be like a teaching one, ie long and formal, or just about me?
    Any help greatly appreciated x

3. I have written several app letters for TA posts, which have resulted in interviews, using a 6-paragraph layout which fits onto one side of A4.

The following is a direct guide based on one of my successful letters, the [lines] is the number of lines I used, depending on your experience and current job you may need to use more lines:

1: "I write to you regarding your vacancy for Teaching Assistant as advertised........" [2 lines]

2: What you currently do, what your eventual goal is (e.g. teacher training). [5 lines]

3:The longest paragraph: An outline of your personal qualities relating to the job, your qualifications, experience, skills and knowledge, why you are interested in this vacancy. [10 lines]

4: What you would do if appointed (e.g. "If appointed as a TA, I would provide guidance with a patient and understanding approach....") - this is a good opportunity to show that you understand the job. [6 lines]

5: Any extra you would give to the school, such as helping out with clubs, social events etc. - I use the school's name in this part [2 lines]

6: A final thank you for reading the letter and hoping that they will consider you for employment [2 lines]

I am fairly new to this myself, however I do seem to be good at writing letters. Unfortunately I never get the job because of competition with more experienced candidates!

4. Thanks for that, it's really useful. I'll get in with it now. Good luck with your job hunting!