1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you work with partner classes?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Jun 9, 2011.

1. We plan as a year group with each of us taking a little bit more responsibility for certain plans depending on our interests. We then adapt and change the plans according to our own classes, especially the maths and english with AFL.

2. We plan everything together but inevitable things get altered when we're in our own classes. Our classes have different strengths and weaknesses and some tasks that my partners class perform really well at mine don't and vice versa. Sometimes due to time constraints, practising for class assemblies, one class not 'getting' it and timetabling, it is unavoidable to make changes. For example, my ICT slot is last thing on a Friday so I can never get the same quality of work as the other class, I always have to adapt those lessons. The only thing you have to be mindful of is moderation. Trying to make sure theere is a good level of parity will make things look better when it comes to moderation of books although I still don't think there has to be 100% parity. If you can justify the reasons why you have altered plans i.e. to suit the needs of the children in your clas, then I think you would be absolutely right to do so.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So long as both classes meet the same learning objectives, it matters little how they get there. I plan with the other year 6 teacher in my school for several subjects, so those plans tend to be followed by both of us together. However for some subjects he plans and some I do and we email them to each other. We both slightly change those plans to what we want to do and that is fine.

Don't assume that the other teacher is 'better' just because she is more experienced. It is entirely possible that her class were also bored rigid by worksheets.

Adapting plans to suit your class is sensible and normal. Also adapting them to suit your style of teaching.

Worry not, it sounds fine.

4. Thank you for your replies... It's good to see how others do it!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But by then end of the term/ year presumably both classes have covered the same objectives?