1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you use your TA effectively during shared writing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by zannar, Mar 9, 2012.

1. zannar

zannar New commenter

I like my TA to listen so she understands my modelling and expectations. She also keeps an eye on those who may need things repeated quietly.
    However, in a situation where I need to be seen to be using her 'more effectively' I give her an observation sheet to monitor a child's behaviour during a certain amount of time.
    When asked I usually say that I want to make sure any problems with following instructions, not listening,distracting fiddling or whatever can be ruled out so I know the next step in trying to help this child progress further.
    Usually works. I play the game.[​IMG]

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd give my TA a small group, either the 'target children' (probably them for an observation by the HT) or the least able or most able and she does the exact same shared write task as me, but with a small group, so they all contribute rather more than they would be able to otherwise.

3. My TA is new to being a whole class TA and still gaining confidence/experience teaching small groups so i'd be reluctant to do this for an Obs - I did it for my last phonics obs and was criticised as she wasn't ready for it yet.
    I have planned to have her sitting with some children that are unconfident and rarely contribute, to encourage discussion/contribution. They're not necessarily my LA as some of my LA are great during shared writing! Do you think this is OK?
    I was planning on extending my HA by targetted questionning around the 'could' (using similes) success critiria during the shared writing.

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

I meant to add that the obs sheet was for the intro. I have a TA sheet which I use for lesson obs. This states objectives of the lesson, what I am looking for etc and a space for comments.
    I used this when my TA was new to the class and she found it very helpful.

5. My TA scribes and makes 'mistakes' like no finger spaces or capital letters where they shouldn't be. It gets the class going and they love to 'be the teacher' and tell her what she needs to do exactly.Meanwhile I am questioning along the lines of 'is that the most exciting word you can think of?' to build up the content. It works for my L1-high 2 children. S x

6. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Ive recently been on a pie corbett course and he promotes that if you have a TA then you get them to scribe so you can keep the flow of the lesson going