1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you use your NQT time?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Vanadesse, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Just wondering how people use (or how new NQTs plan to use) their NQT time? I know it's meant to be different to PPA time, just wonder what kind of things are good to use that time for.

2. Weekly meeting with your Induction Tutor; meetings with Subject Tutor; NQT paperwork; developing CPD; extra PPA time ( until you get used to workload!) . . . to name just a few things that you will find your time is eaten up by!

3. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I'm in nursery and I've mainly used mine as extra PPA time but next term (which will be my final term) I'm hoping to observe in reception and possibly to visit different nurseries to see how they do things. I don't have weekly meetings with my mentor, to start with I had one every two weeks but now just half termly and then I drop in at her office if I have something to discuss.
    I've also used NQT time as time to go through the resources we have; visiting feeder nurseries and playgroups; visiting a deaf support centre as we are having a deaf child join us in September; went on a pre-visit for our nursery trip; prepared stuff for induction; wrote reports and if truth be told, even had a bit of a nap once (I can work from home if I want)!

4. gnomie_p

gnomie_p New commenter

I'm starting my NQT year next week and this is how I intend to spend my NQT time (not sure if it'll all happen!!)

Meet with mentor and unit leader
    Look at resources available in school, where they're kept etc
    Look through network and other computer documents etc so I know what's available
    Observe other staff in school
    Observe other year 6 teachers in other schools
    Courses
    Extra time for ppa
    CDP
    Occasional intervention work/assessment of individual children or small groups
    And the list goes on...

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I used to have a meeting with my mentor every week or fortnight, sometimes at my request sometimes hers. Also went to observe other teachers in areas I felt I wanted to work on (guided reading, phonics). I also spent a bit of time sorting out my NQT File (my school were big on paperwork. Im not.) Most of the time though, it was just extra PPA tbh.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I was sent on quite a few courses. I observed a few colleagues, but it wasn't always convenient (eg. my NQT time was always in the afternoon, and Literacy/Numeracy/Phonics lessons were in the mornings, which are the things I'd most have liked to observe). Mostly I did planning, marking, and listened to children read individually.

7. Shatnerbassoon

Shatnerbassoon New commenter

I used a lot of it for napping, its a tiring year! Dont know what im gonna do this year without my "reflection time"...

8. Check with your school what the rules are. When I did my NQT my school let me use it how I wished once everything got done. However, last year my borough tightened up a lot on Induction and our NQTs <u>were not allowed to use it as PPA.</u>
    I had to create with my NQT a timetable of how their time was spent each week and submit it to the borough at the start of each half term! It was used for meetings, observations, curriculum research etc, CPD courses etc

9. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm surprised how many people use it/some of it for PPA time! My uni made it very clear that NQT time wasn't to be used for PPA time and that you were expected to use that time productively to help with your development. I assumed that it would be something that schools were pretty tight on, I guess not! I'll speak to my mentor about it all next week I think.

10. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think there's got to be a bit of give and take. I don't like being dictated to tbh. As I said I sometimes used my NQT time for marking or planning or writing reports. Example, week before reports due. I could spend an afternoon observing a colleague, whilst thinking about and stressing about reports, then spend an extra 2 hours at home doing reports. Or, I could spend my NQT time writing reports, then relaxing longer at home. Which would have lead to better teaching the next day? Almost certainly the relaxing! On the other hand, one day I spent the entire day doing NQT stuff, sorting out my file, reflecting on lessons etc etc, technically some of it was PPA time. I also got sent on a couple of courses which were longer than my NQT allocation for the week. I really don't think it's the end of the world. Have to say, never managed a nap during it, as I had to be on site :(