1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you use Twitter? Help please!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Colleen_Young, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

It's on your profile because it's your tweet. Anything that you tweet will be on your own profile but it will
    I wrote this for Maths but the links to Russell Stannards videos and my general Twitter bookmarks might be useful.
    Note - Twitter in plain English and mom, this is how Twitter works.
    There is a glossary of all the terms on Twitter.

2. Colleen_Young

a bit missing in the above post!
    It's on your profile because it's your tweet. Anything that you tweet will be on your own profile but it will show in the timeline of anyone who follows you.
    (TES I want a bit longer to be able to edit my own posts - the time is too short!)

3. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Jonathan, Jweb and Casy, very useful (Casy, your links are great, especially the second one, I'll study it in detail, will probably answer all my questions). Just one more thing... I understand that if I tweet another person, it will NOT appear on their timeline if they do not follow me. So my question is: would that person still get my tweet and choose to put it on their own timeline? (or is a tweet to a non-follower like a Private Message in effect?) PS to jweb: sorry, I'm pretty confused myself with this Twitter, more complex than it first appeared!

4. margie2

margie2 New commenter

and Casy, you're abso right about the need for a longer edit... I've just tried to edit my post but too late... (could we have 5 minutes please?) My full question should have read: I understand that if I tweet another person, it will NOT appear on their timeline if they do not follow me. So, would that person still get my tweet and could choose to put it on their own timeline if they wished to? (or is a tweet to a non-follower like a Private Message in effect?)

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I think the problem here is that you are confusing the issue of twitter by comparing it to terminology used in Facebook. Please bin the ideas of walls and timelines. You simply tweet. If you put @djphillips1408 at the beginning of your tweet then I will see it, if what you say interests me then I can choose to follow you. If I follow you then I see every tweet that you make to anyone, if I unfollow you then I won't see anything you tweet, unless you put @djphillips1408 within the tweet again

6. All your tweets appear on your timeline.
    If you send a message using @username they will be able to see it in their 'mentions' section. Anyone who writes a tweet me with my username I can view in the 'connect' area at the top of twitter.
    THe previous poster is correct it is not like facebook. You can not put anything onto their twitter feed. Hope that make sense. If not follow me on twitter @icklekid and I will try and explain again :)

7. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Dj and icklekid. I'm slowly making sense of Twitter... OK, so if I understand you correctly icklekid, ALL my tweets to @another Twitter account appear on my Timeline (sorry, not Timeline, apparently "homepage" is the correct term). I'll have a look at these "mentions" and "connect" areas... Another bit: apparently, if I sent a private tweet to someone, they will NOT receive it if they do not follow me, is that correct?

8. Colleen_Young

A direct message (DM) is a private message sent via Twitter to one of
    your followers. You can only send a direct message to a user who is
    following you; you can only receive direct messages from users you
    follow.
    As already stated it is possible for a user to see any tweets addressed to them (it does not matter whether the sender follows them or not) by clicking on Connect, then Mentions.

9. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

I recommend the Yoono firefox plugin - adds a cool bar to the side of your browser
    to check on tweets etc when you want to.

10. margie2

margie2 New commenter

OK, thanks Casy and John, I need time to digest all that! You've all been brilliant, thanks again. I'll probably come back soon with some daft Twitter-related questions!