1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you track progress in FS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Donjee, May 8, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    Just looking for some advice on how you do it in your schools. I am an experienced teacher, new to the FS this year and the first year my school has had FS children for a few years. I have been asked by my head how we can show progress as we do with levels for NC. For the rest of the school, the levels are entered into a tracker to show progress and to highlight any children not achieving the 2 sublevels etc. From Year 1, they can be tracked during their time in school in order to monitor that their value added is good.
    Is the EProfile on its own enough? Or do you somehow turn profile points into a system that is trackable so that 'points' can be tracked from Year R through to end of Year 6?
    I would be grateful to receive your thoughts and ideas.
    Many thanks :)

2. Hi everyone,
    Just looking for some advice on how you do it in your schools. I am an experienced teacher, new to the FS this year and the first year my school has had FS children for a few years. I have been asked by my head how we can show progress as we do with levels for NC. For the rest of the school, the levels are entered into a tracker to show progress and to highlight any children not achieving the 2 sublevels etc. From Year 1, they can be tracked during their time in school in order to monitor that their value added is good.
    Is the EProfile on its own enough? Or do you somehow turn profile points into a system that is trackable so that 'points' can be tracked from Year R through to end of Year 6?
    I would be grateful to receive your thoughts and ideas.
    Many thanks :)

3. EYFSP should have been a summative, end of Reception year assessment only with no direct correlation to national curriculum levels but it hasn't been used in that way as a result of OFSTED scrutiny.
    OFSTED have tried to address this in the Jan 2012 framework subsidiary guidance:
    Progress from the age-related expectations at the beginning of nursery, to the age-related expectations at the beginning of reception, on to the end of reception where they can be compared with Early Years Foundation Stage Profile national figures is likely to represent expected progress during the Early Years Foundation Stage.
    The new EYFS framework to be used from September will reinfoce the need to be a summative analysis and Ofsted Inspectors should no longer to asking for EYFSP data as a tracking tool.
    Therefore, progress across the EYFS should be done using the Development Matters 'Ages & Stages of Devlopment' scheme of assessment. Perhaps consider proportions working within and beyond 30-50 months, 40-60 months and beyond. Until the September 2012 cohort reaches the end of KS1, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at the correlation between the new scoring system and 'expected' progress.
    A recording of emerging, expected and exceeding for each of the 17 new early learning goals (prime and specific) will not translate to NC levels, unless you were brave and said that expected reading (in isolation to the rest of the profile?) would mean 2B at KS1 and 4B at KS2?
    I wouldn't want to put myself in that position - once you've moved away from the profile and the children have been assessed against the NC levels, you are almost starting again. And don't forget we'll have a new NC in 2014...well unless you've gone Academy by then!