1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you teach this part of objective?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Monkey Hanger, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm having problems trying to plan for this part of an objective
    To derive related multiplication and division facts (including decimals e.g. 0.8 × 7, 4.8 ÷ 6) its mainly the decimals part.
    I'm just wondering how other people go about it and what type of activities do you give the children?
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. Hi all,
    I'm having problems trying to plan for this part of an objective
    To derive related multiplication and division facts (including decimals e.g. 0.8 × 7, 4.8 ÷ 6) its mainly the decimals part.
    I'm just wondering how other people go about it and what type of activities do you give the children?
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.

3. What year / ability are you teaching?

I would approach it in a very different way with top set year 7 to with low ability year 11 :) I usually start with pretend the decimals aren't there and then figure out where decimal point goes in afterwards, how I explain how to figure out the order of magnitude depends on the class...

From the way you speak I suspect you are primary? I'm not sure off the top of my head how I would approach this with younger students...

4. I use a spider diagram with a calculation (eg 6x8=48) in the middle. Add legs to the spider with a couple of other calculations eg. 0.6 x 8 , 600 x 0.8. Discuss how to work them out. Get the pupils to add legs to their spiders with their own calculations. Use a calculator to check. As an extension, challenge them to find different calculations with a specific answer, eg. 0.48

5. This is what I would do but I would try to keep the calculators in the background and to check their answers through other methods (pictures or written calculation strategies) first.

6. What is an objective in the whole context of learning and in terms of having to be rigid? A SOW can be chooped up into lots of wasted learning hours.
    The wording of outcomes often baffles people and all that needs to be done is:
    (1) Being able to multiply and divide decimals
    (2) Remembering rules and an algorithm
    (3) Make them do 50 in the lesson, 50 for homework
    (4) Move onto using that knowledge in applications
    Its a number skill and IMO doesnt need 'exploring or deriving', <u>save that for interesting maths.</u>
    I fully believe in proof and 'show that' type of skills but this is simply a case of rote learning repetitious exercises to ensure concrete skills. Bang for Buck in terms of available learning hours doesn't IMO lend itself to messing around

7. Thank you all for your ideas - I'm having a mental block again.

Yes I'm primary - need the ideas for year 6. Have I gone and posted in the wrong forum again?

Just making sure I cover 'all the bases' as certain people are quick to criticise and don't give any support or constructive advice. But that's another matter I'm not going to get into that.

8. nope didn't mean to imply you were in the wrong forum, just makes a difference what year you're teaching... i don't think i can better any of the suggestions already given :)

9. Haha - no bother. Just usually am in the wrong place! I'm teaching year 6

10. mixed ability? setted?

11. Why? The purpose is to give instant feedback so that misconceptions are addressed before they become ingrained.
    What picture would help here?

12. Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions.
    Feel a bit happier about this now [​IMG]