1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you teach entrepreneurship?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Helenroe, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Helenroe

Helenroe New commenter

We are running a free programme for 12-16yr olds with a simple aim:

To create a generation of 16 year olds who have created their own personal revenue stream of £16000 per year.

It’s called ‘Startup Sherpa 16x16’.

If you know of any school we should chat to about our 16X16 programme (entrepreneurship for 12-16 year olds), then please get in touch!
    View attachment 32939

STARTUPSHERPAS.ORG | HELLO@STARTUPSHERPAS.ORG

deepthipatel001 likes this.
  2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

£1600 a year? isn't that more than Ingrained Ltd filed for 2019?

3. g_jackson_esl

g_jackson_esl New commenter

but....that's a job, right?

£16000 / 54 weeks in the year = £296.30 a week / 48 hour week = £6.17 per hour

I guess this is one of those where you are 'self-employed' in order that your actual employer doesn't have to do things like national insurance, pension contributions or workplace rights huh

4. Helenroe

Helenroe New commenter

Thanks for the message colpee. Just to clarify, the target is £16,000 (not £1,600 as you mentioned), and I'm guessing you are looking at the abbreviated balance sheet for Ingrained, which doesn't give you the info needed to calculate revenue. However, with that curiosity, would you like to join the adult Startup Sherpa programme - it's free (unless you want to pay something), so you are more than welcome.

...and just to add, Startup Sherpa 16X16 is completely free for schools, or any community group of kids.

5. Helenroe

Helenroe New commenter

Hi g_jackson_est,

Yep - it is a job - regardless if people end up creating and running their own business (either based on a product, or as them being self-employed), or they go into the world of working for someone else, making a living is a job full-stop. However, 'job' doesn't have to mean working 48 hours per week, 52 (or 54!) weeks per year. This is about helping people to explore ways of creating a business that provides them a living, and with the right work-life balance.

This has nothing to do with self-employed, zero-hour contracts etc (and if they can build a business that makes £16k per year, they will need to pay taxes etc), but is simply there to help people learn and experience how you take an idea for a business, and test out if it would work, and then build their presence bit by bit, learning as they go. The skills to do this are equally valuable in the world of 'big business' who have to do just that to survive in today's tough markets. This is the skills gap - raising a generation of kids who have the creative problem solving skills that companies so desperately need.

6. deepthipatel001

deepthipatel001 New commenter

Great. I will see it.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Nope. My curiosity was only piqued by yet another company proffering grandiose claims against little evidence.

ajrowing likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I will tell you if you can afford my fees!;)

colpee likes this.