1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you teach English/Literacy KS2???!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yummymummy0803, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone

I have recently taken over as English leader at my school - a junior school.

The teaching of the subject across the school is 'good' (observations/drop-ins/Ofsted) and the children appear to enjoy English but our results are not improving - particularly in writing.

I would really like to introduce a scheme/way of teaching/improving English attainment but cannot seem to find something suitable.

Does anyone have any ideas? How do you teach English? Have you implemented any new schemes or seen/heard of any suggestions?

MANY thanks for your help in advance!

2. Hi Everyone

I have recently taken over as English leader at my school - a junior school.

The teaching of the subject across the school is 'good' (observations/drop-ins/Ofsted) and the children appear to enjoy English but our results are not improving - particularly in writing.

I would really like to introduce a scheme/way of teaching/improving English attainment but cannot seem to find something suitable.

Does anyone have any ideas? How do you teach English? Have you implemented any new schemes or seen/heard of any suggestions?

MANY thanks for your help in advance!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you looked at Pie Corbett Alan Peat Ros Wilson?

4. We introduced Big Writing around 5 years ago and is still being used. I just feel it is time for something new and exciting!!

Will look at the others, thank you.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Perhaps that is what the problem is ... the teaching is no longer exciting

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I was going to suggest BW. Have you taught using it freshly every year or taught the same 30 or so BW each year!? We found it worked, but only when it fitted with SOWs and what the class neeeded, so built up a large bank of resources that people can use as and when they see fit, rather than ploughing on with the same lessons all the time.

7. We've turned to a much more book based approach - working through a text, covering as many different genres as naturally turn up in the book. By having a carefully selected list of books all the genres can be covered and the pupils find writing much easier.
    Because they know the book, settings, characters and story etc they don't get stuck trying to imagine these details and can concentrate on the features of the text type they are writing and their basic writing skills.
    We have seen an improvement in the pupils enjoyment of literacy and reading as well as a big jump in levels.
    I enjoy teaching this way much more too!
    PM

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

My advice: don't look for a quick fix. Look long and hard at what your children aren't mastering. What is it that's stopping them getting those higher levels?
    Is it sentence structures? Then maybe look at Alan Peat stuff?
    Is it imagination? Pie Corbett might be useful?
    Is it vocabulary? Maybe talk for writing?
    There's not one-size-fits-all solution. You need to identify your problem before you start looking for answers to the question!