1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you teach content?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by dianaprince, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Ok, your regular incompentent again asking for help.
    I am struggling at the moment to teach the content at GCSE. As in the bits they just have to know. I do a lot of group work- where they investigate one part and teach the rest, or use picture cue cards to answer a question and venn diagrams.
    But I can't just keep doing these 3 things. So can you give me ideas on how you teach the key points. Like I am doing wealth atm. So we do lots of interesting stuff (group work on who spend money, clip from millions etc). But ultimately they need to know the Christian and Muslim attitudes to wealth. How do I do that in an interesting way?

2. Oh I also no putting teachings into pictures etc. But I feel like I do the same stuff all the time

3. I do stuff like dramatising key words and concepts, putting arguments on sheets and getting them to highlight which are for and which are against or highlight the ones they could use in a d queston arguing part i or part ii or correspond with their personal opinion or not.
    Or I give them the work on hand out and then make them read it through and assimilate it by using it in a practice GCSE question.
    Or to learn one teaching - put it into an idea for teaching the others a way to remember it and then rainbow group to swap ideas.

Stuf flke belief in God, put in groups of atheists, theists agnsotics - real or mad eup - do spider diagram of easons for having that view and then send round to teach each other.

Specimen exam answers on thebaord with important key points missing - they have to work out what the point is from the info taught/given them in class. Stuff like that.

4. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I read the bible and it said.... A game copied and adapted from 'I went to the shops and I brought' (great game for learning bible references). The kids think your mad to begin with, but get really into it when the game begins. When someone gets it wrong, listen to the rest of the class want to tell them what the answer was!
    Also I do role play - e.g. Catholic Priest, a pregnant teenger with a CofE mom and an atheist dad, with a feminist friend arguing over abortion...The problem with this one is that it can become too stereotypical but useful to have a generic understanding of differences in beliefs
    There's nothing wrong with the whole PowerPoint on Christian teachings on something then a question sheet - however I agree this can be dull if done frequently.
    Memory games are good for learning content - e.g. with Christian teachings on caring for others I do a presentation on different biblical teachings (e.g. show a youtube clip of the good samaritan story, explain Amos' teachings, have a picture of the camel and the needle and get a discussion on what it means etc... Then I show a mind map that only includes pictures (e.g. a love heart for agape, a mugged man, the prophet amos, a camel/needle, Jesus, rich man/poor man in heaven etc...) and give them an exam question - they can look at the picture in front of them as they've only just been told this knowledge - they write an exam answer to it. Then as a plenary I ask them what bible references they can use for caring for the poor - its always suprising how much they've learnt.
    5 mins to write everything you know about a topic - swap. 3 mins to add anything they've missed.