1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you teach a student to be an independent learner?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Justjoeg, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Justjoeg

Justjoeg New commenter

We all claim that we want our students to become life-long learners, as our aim is to provide them with the skills for jobs that haven't been invented yet...
    To be a successful life-long learner, it would help if students knew how to learn independently. So how do you teach a student to become an independent learner? How much choice do you actually allow a student to have? What blended learning strategies do people use to support this method of learning?
    What tasks are good for encouraging independence and how are students monitored through those tasks?
    Any feedback would be great...

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Like ******** it is.

3. Justjoeg

Justjoeg New commenter

Obviously there are a few things that get in the way of this...

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

like being forced to print dates and lis for children so they leave primary unable to spell the days and months correctly.

5. zeeprod1

zeeprod1 New commenter

Thought-provoking question, also a bit like a dissertation question, it will depend on context. No way there can be a 'one size fits all' for this question.

Some ideas:

1) For main activities - give a choice out of three differentiated tasks, that little bit of autonomy might motivate them to complete a task independently.

2) If you know a child is weak/needy, pair them with someone they can talk to and learn from.

3) When learning a new word, or something straight forward that's easily accessible from the internet, I might tell them to find out and feedback. Kids these days should be good at researching, everyone has access to the Google. (depends if your room has computers of course)

4) One school I was at had a motto, the 4Bs. I can't remember all of them but it was something like, brain, buddy, book i.e they should try all these Bs before asking the teacher, not too sure how effective this is though, can anyone confirm?

5) Restrict the amount of questions they can ask? they might cut down unnecessary questions?

Again, these are just suggestions, all will depend on the children in front of you.

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

We did the 4 My's
    My self
    My partner
    My table
    My teacher

zeeprod1 likes this.