1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you store your books?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Loony tunes, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I teach in a secondary special school with pupils working at early years/KS1 levels. I've just moved to a much bigger classroom and am looking to set up a more foundation phase style room. I want a book area but really don't like the big, deep bookshelf I have at the moment as I think the books just get lost. How do you store/display your books so they can be seen well and easily accessible? Thanks

2. Loony tunes

Anyone?

3. I am always trying to enhance my reading area. At present I put a selection of books on our topic in a basket with comfy seating and bears to read to around it. Also put some more in the role play and on the carpet area. Anywhere rather than in one place is good to get children reading! If you have money - there are beautiful display/storage solutions for books, but they are quite costly.
    It's great you are wanting to change and improve as many don't wish to... well done! May your efforts be rewarded.

4. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

I like the display bookcases so the children can choose the book they want more easily. The one I bought recently holds 12 books and was pretty reasonably priced.
    http://www.eduzone.co.uk/acatalog/info_372_455.html
    It isn't very high but there are others that might be more appropriate. I would stay away from kinderboxes as they aren't particularly attractive, the books get squahsed and the books don't 'jump out' for the children to choose.

5. We have ones from Ikea that you drill onto the wall, so it makes a sticking out V shape. You can put books relating to each area on to these.

6. Loony tunes

Thanks for your replies. I'm still fairly new to the school and want to bring a bit of life to my room so its really helpful hearing how other people do it!

7. I have a 2 seater sofa in my reading area with a small quilt and a large teddy called chocolate. To one side of the sofa is a large book box . In front of the sofa is a draw unit with a basket on the top with topic related books. There is also a CD player with head phones so the children can sit on the sofa, listen to a story cd and follow the story in the book. They really enjoy it and I have found that the parents who don't read with their children at home are using it first thing in the morning to settle their children.