1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you spend your time while waiting for work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by aspire_teach, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm signed up to two agencies in my local area and one in my university city at the moment and I've been warned it's going to be pretty quiet for the next two weeks. I enjoyed my summer hols, but now that it's no longer the holidays and the children are back in the classrooms, I just feel dismal :-(

I have tidied some rooms, surfed the Net for some resources to use on supply when I e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y get work, been food shopping, and now am back combing every job site for work.

What will you do when that phone call in the morning never materialises? How will you fill your time?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Trying to find ways to make money, directly or indirectly.

3. I've been worried about the same thing as I have just registered with a supply agency and in the process with another. I'm going to start making a portfolio of some of my work/assessment so if and when I do get an interview for a full time job I have it there to show them, or at least I can use it to recap if I go completely blank! Other than that I've got myself a weekend job so I have some regular income and I might start swimming! Keep looking for jobs, even if they are maternity cover, as I went on my local council website today and there are 10 up already for Jan start!

4. I've been tidying my house (it's almost spotless!), taking the dog on epic walks, sorting out my filing cabinet of resources, laminating good stuff, organising the files on my computer, changing playlists and updating artwork on iTunes, surfing the net for jobs, watching **** on TV, etc etc etc.
    Planning on doing a few car boot sales to raise a bit of cash and selling some stuff on eBay. It all counts when you are broke!

5. Other than surfing the net for teaching and non-teaching jobs, I have pounded the beat, going to various employment agencies. Other than that, nothing really. Physical activity brings on a desire to eat, which is not easily satisfied.

6. i'm in the same boat - on Monday I did all of my errands (bank, post office) and blitzed the house until it was spotless. Now i job hunt online, and try to raise money on ebay; aka my only source of income at the moment. I have some regular work booked for Thurs-Fri, so I do some planning towards that (but find it hard to concentrate properly when I'm phone watching), then i watch rubbish tv and do yoga; i'd join a gym or go swimming but can't afford to. And like someone else said, physical activity does lead to the need to feed, which is costly in itself.... Ah, the vicious little circles in the wicked web of supply.

7. I spend the time feeling bored. Housework is done (although I'm trying to spread it over the week so I do have something to do everyday!), veg garden is coming to an end so nothing to do there, refresh the job sites hourly, watch repeats on TV, drink tea and feel bored.
    Can't afford to meet friends for coffee (but most of them work anyway!), agree about physical excercise - just makes you eat more and defeats the object really.
    It's not even hot and sunny to sit outside getting a tan.
    I have nothing worth selling on ebay.
    Yesterday I was so bored I made some spanish resources for my daughter (Y7) to help her. She just rolled her eyes!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this.

8. I have turned off my freezer as there nothing in it. The fridge is really only keeping the milk from going off, there is precious little in there, too. Other than half-used packets of lentils and flour, my cupboard is literally bare.
    I have put my house on the market, hoping to down-size, but the estate agent warned me that the market was flat.

9. jj80

jj80 New commenter

oh albertdog...i hope one day to read a positive and cheerful post from you! lol :)