1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you show pupils' progress within a short time?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lavender7, Sep 14, 2010.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Your new SLT member is just like a cretinous buffoon reported on another forum who said that every lesson had to be outstanding (which is linguistically impossible) even when they were not being observed.

2. linsen

linsen New commenter

The inspector we just had in would be delighted by that........... Seriously - they have been told categorically that they MUST NOT favour any teaching style.

3. We have Must, Should, Could on the board in the target language (the students are used to this now and understand what they mean, but we usually get someone to translate them just in case.

We then make the first checkpoint (after 15-20 minutes) link to the must, so they need to demonstrate they have achieved the must in this first checkpoint. We use mini whiteboards a lot and our favourite activities are true / false or translating simple sentences into French. We then do a bit more teaching and learning and then have another checkpoint 15-20 minutes after the first one.

Hope that helps.

4. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

5. salsera

salsera New commenter

Sometimes progress cannot be made until students "get it" - this may not be achieved in 20 mins, 30 mins or even an hour it may take several lessons...it depends what is defined as progress too...progress can mean very different things.

Students may make 'progress" in a lesson according observation criteria, but can they retain the knowledge they have acquired in that lesson and apply it later? That s

hows progress...

6. amchugh

amchugh New commenter

It's vitally important that progress isn't measured within the lesson (by the observer) as a way of determining the learning that has taken place. Progress is NOT linear and students need to make slow progress sometimes as well as rapid progress at other times. Personally I would ban the word progress from lesson observation feedback. You can read my thoughts in greater depth here if you like - http://www.teachingandlearningguru.com/measuring-progress/

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Yes of course it is.

I am losing weight, and I know how important it is that i am regularly assessed and progress made towards my goal is accurately recorded. if I don't drop everything that I am doing and run to the scales every single 20 minutes without fail, i am unlikely to reach my target for the week, and may not make my Christmas target either.

8. I am being observed next week for a math lesson in Addition ( year 1 using knowledge of number bonds). They will focus on improvement and progress of students during the lesson. Any ideas????

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First establish the 'baseline' at the beginning of the lesson and then in your plenary show how progress has been made.