1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you show pupils' progress within a short time?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lavender7, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about asking students at beginning of lesson how they would say I like/don't like or whatever phrase you choose(sorry don't know which language either).?
    Then in your plenary session you could show progression having taught . .because . . or I prefer etc.

2. Thanks Lara, good idea.

3. I get them to draw a grid at the beginning of the lesson with two boxes, one headed something like "I already know" or "I already can" and the other headed something like "Now I can" or "Now I know". You could print these off if you prefer. They fill in one side following the presentation of the objectives and the other just before the plenary. It's a hoop, just make like a poodle and jump through it! Good luck!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A gap-fill exercise seems appropriate for Writing for Yr 7s.
    I'm not convinced about having YR7s, or other learners new to a language, marking each other. Are they really able to decide if the correct question/answer has been uttered? Can they really identify whether phrases have been pronounced properly?
    A previous idea about having conversations at different levels would be valid for showing progress if the pupils themselves were able to adapt the lower level conversation to meet a higher criteria. It would be nothing but parrotting a given dialogue if the higher level conversation were teacher created.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

On a general level I think that expecting AFL to demonstrate progress in an individual lesson (or several times per hour) is verging on the ridiculous.
    AFL really requires teacher reflection to be effective and will impact on future teaching.
    It can be implemented within a lesson but that is often when the teacher realises that the pupils are not coping with the planned lesson. You realise that they have forgotten some basic principles that are needed for the new work and you abandon your lesson plan and back-track in order to teach the planned lesson later. We were told on my fairly recent Maths conversion course that that ability to halt the planned lesson and spontaneously adapt to fill the learning void was what OFSTED were looking for in AFL within the lesson.
    getting instant feedback from pupils is also AFL, so you could issue them all with mini whiteboards at the start of the lesson and periodically ask them questions (vocabulary etc) that they can respond to without reference to your whiteboard or textbooks/exercise books etc. That allows you to ascertain how many have memorised new learning in the short-term.
    You could ask a ques ion and expect a written sentence on the mini whiteboard. That would allow shy pupils who are reluctant to speak in MFL to be involved in answering and to show what they have absorbed.

6. Excellent. I'm in the same position as you. I would have written those words myself.

7. Excellent. I would have written the same words myself.

8. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I can't find any advice about how to impress OFSTED suggesting that want to see progress every 20 mins. I think it is your SLT's interpretation that is the problem.
    They may on the other hand be refering to the fact that the inspectors only come in for about 20 mins so during that 20 mins it would be good to have a mini-plenary. I don't think there is much wrong with that even if it is hoop jumping.

9. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

No, actually, Random, I've heard it too. I've been specifically told that if they cannot see progress within 20 minutes, it is unsatisfactory, full stop. But I don't know if using AfL is necessary to see progress. All I know is that it wouldn't be ok to practise already learned vocab, for instance, as it wouldn't show any progress.

10. Thanks everyone for your help, particularly Pingumummy and Jubilee.
    Good idea Ping, but there won't be any time to fill in a grid I'm afraid.
    Jubilee, I share your reservations 100 % but our SMT are adamant about this 20 minute Ofsted-driven fad with showing progress 3 times per hour, etc. Many people are unhappy about it, it has been discussed in school, it has been questioned, etc, but to no avail.
    No observation last week (colleague not in school, postponed to next week).

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There's a difference between OFSTED wanting to see progress when only dipping into a lesson for 20 minutes and having to structure all lessons to show progress every 20 minutes!
    If you have an OFSTED, plan your lesson in chunks that will allow progress to be witnessed whenever the inspector arrives. As for the rest of the school year, plan your lessons to suit your pupils' ability to cope with the SOW.

12. I am aware of that and, as I've said before, I totally agree with you, but go and explain that to SMT...

13. sorry to be devil's advocate but i think ofsted got a few valid points and actually as mfl teachers we do a lot of it anyway - mini plenaries and all. just a couple of thoughts and comments:
    i find a tendency among some of my mfl colleagues and in this thread to think of your lessons only in terms of "activities", one activity after the other BUT what is the actual point of your lesson? what do you want them to be able to do by the end of the lesson - yep what is the objective?
    should they be able to recognize the words/say them/spell them/use sentences/give opinions?
    also new ofsted criterias are very much about independent learning and collaborative learning.
    if you want them to learn them - could you ask them to group the new vocabulary into easy - medium - hard to remember / discuss in groups strategies how to remember them
    or could you focus on pronunciation patterns - they reflect on some words they know and then try to apply the patterns to the new words - your hobbies?
    please don't do a survey! if you have to, do it as a speeddating activity - afterwards ask for peer praise - who impressed them? also you could write up results using the he/she verb form.
    dictionary skills?

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Very valid points menana!

15. Hi All,

I need help! I am French & German teacher & I am expected to show progression every 10-15 min in an hour lesson. Does anyone have any tips or ideas please?

Thank you

16. Now there's a brilliant idea! I've been waiting for ages for someone to show me all this theory in a language classroom!

17. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

18. I am being observed this week too with year 11 but the principle is the same. Remember progress across time is far more important - this should be evidenced in your marking.

In my lesson I will be aiming to boost students' vocab knowledge (at phrase level understanding about future plans) and improve listening skills. This is tried and tested for me but I haven't yet been observed doing it in my current school, so who knows what the outcome will be. The plan roughly is:

1) Give a sheet of 20 words/phrases at start of lesson to see what they can do now - ensure some of these are to recap prior learning but most should be new.

2) Spend time going over this - quickly over the prior learning vocab, more time spent presenting the new vocab.

3) Questioning will then be differentiated - either 'does x mean y or z?' or 'what does x mean?' depending on student ability.

4) Vocab card game to do more practice - they get competitive but basically test each other on vocab.

5) What can you do now? - back to their sheet from starter and they will get more marks this time.

6) Traffic light understanding then give a listening comp (sheets differentiated according to their level of understanding)

7) Mini whiteboards at the end in a competition - first person who can write the correct English wins my big flashcard!

8) Exit post-it notes to reflect on own progress.

19. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And also ask them to point to the exact reference in the Ofsted handbook which stipulates what they are claiming. They won't be able to do it, because it isn't there. It's another of those myths put out by some jumped up failed traffic warden.

20. salsera

salsera New commenter

Have looked at this and now about to show our new SLT member who says we have to show progress in every lesson every single day.....so thanks for the link. Watch the fireworks