1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you show progression in 20 minutes of a lesson?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Mar 17, 2012.

1. I am a year 1 teacher and we have some observations coming up by the headteacher next week. She is going to do snap shot observations like Ofsted will do. We have to be able to show that the children are progressing within that 20 minutes snapshot. Are there any tips or key things we can do to show this progression? I'm finding it quite difficult to get my head around. It's not too bad if the observation is during the plenary or main activity, but how do we show progession during the introduction part of the lesson?

2. .
    I had this problem during my ofsted observation, they had clearly made progress by the end of the lesson as they had solved all of the problems they need to but they didnt care.

One way to show progress we have been advised to do is mini plenaries throughout the lesson, mini challenges and games during each part of the lesson and chn being actively engaged in their learning. 1 way i have shown this is to have talking partner activities about what makes a good... (could be a sentence, addition sum, or genre in lit) the chn write them down on a post it/piece of paper screw it up like a snowball and throw it either into the middle or to another person and that person adds something and you kee[ going until all features are identified. This can also be done on a large sheet of paper per group and each group writes on the paper which is then passed around. each group has 1 coloured pen so you can see who has written what. Ive got a booklet with other ideas on that I can email if you like. Leave me ur email address. Some of them are definitely more geared to ks2 but might be worth a look. Our performance managment obs are based on this this year.

3. jellybellysmum - you have mail.

4. Isn't it sad when we're forced into quick fix solutions to please Ofsted when really we know learning can be slow and complicated, rather than immediate and obvious?

5. Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy of your booklet? Thank you so much. claround@hotmail.co.uk

6. Jellybellysmum, would you kindly send me a copy of your ways to show progress. Not in a country tht has Ofsted inspections (thank goodness) but I would like to be able to use it as part of AfL.
    regards
    simpsonsinsydney@hotmail.com

7. Any chance of posting it in the resources section rather than this message growing to hundreds of replies long?
    We have just been 'ofsteded' and they commented that they had not seen 'children learning something new every 20 minutes'in any of the lessons they observed! Something like you describe would be very useful.
    Thanks PP

8. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

9. If I was given this on a course run by a company would I be allowed to put it in the resources section?

10. I have sent it to those who have left their email

11. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

12. Hate to jump on the band wagon, but any chance of a copy or your booklet pls?!

Many thanks in advance!

lou010101@hotmail.com

13. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

I hate jumping on the bandwagon, but this sounds really useful!

vb43@alumni.le.ac.uk

Thanks!

14. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

15. I have added it to the resources section, hope this is ok.

16. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Hi jellybellysmum

I searched and can't find your resource.

Is it in KS1 or KS2 and what's the title?

Thanks.