1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you show progress?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by liamfh, Jan 29, 2019.

1. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

I'm hoping from help as I'm stressed trying to find a solution to this issue.

I work in a special school which has no printer in the ICT room, only one in the main office, and the students can't print and I don't have access to the drive they store their work.

I usually give feedback verbally but we have a new marking policy (with 3 different coloured highlighters and three different pens), which I have to adhere to.

The suggestion is that I print off the students work each lesson from their pc's, go the printer, glue it in their book and then mark it. This seems very long winded and prone to go wrong. If there is an incident at the end of the lesson, quite probable, I wouldn't be able to print the work or if the printer was broke.

They dont want me to have access to the students drive or i could do screen shots and save feedback in their folder.

There has got to be a better way of doing it so I am hoping one of you has a much better solution you are happy to share.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Find another job. This is ludicrous.

TheComputingTeacher likes this.
  3. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Ludicrous? Hilarious, I'd say. Ask to have a proper MLE installed so that you can set tasks, collect in digital work and give feedback in a 21st century manner. That might just prompt management to sort you a printer, the 20th century solution.

4. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

Set up MS Teams or MS ClassNote as the repository of student work. Feedback can be annotated to student work in whatever colour the schools wants you to use, you could even voice record your feedback.

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  5. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

If working in MS Office, I would highlight and comment on their work using the software tools of these packages. I wouldn't print but have students share their work with me on the cloud. Or you could use onenote which you can access.

6. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Opening the discussion with the policy makers about what is appropriate for your subject would be (was) my first step. We used Google classroom with comments, feedback and student responses all logged within the documents or classroom.

Every piece of work when it was assessed had comments added throughout and when students responded to those comments they had to write a short sentence in the 'response' box rather than just clicking the 'resolve' button. This created a nice 'paper-trail' for managers who preferred that term! A guide for visitors to the classroom on how to access and see the comments, marking and responses was well received by the management and was always available to hand to parents, slt, observers and inspectors.

Finally be prepared to stand your ground and point out that printing and sticking in folders is not a task that requires a teacher's skills and that the workload agreement means that they would need to identify (and pay) someone to provide this clerical support to do what is purely an admin task.

Stiltskin likes this.
  7. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

...oh and unless they can be certain that the exercise of printing material and sticking it in a book is a skill the students need to acquire or that its definitely going to help them retain the knowledge then it's not something the students should do either - as you'll have something much more valuable for them to be doing in that time.

8. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

JM6699 likes this.
  9. nicola_roddis

nicola_roddis New commenter

I too use G-Suite.
    Until 2 years ago I was also having to print out worksheets (already marked online in the appropriately coloured fonts in-line with marking policy & accessible to student & parent/guardian 24/7) & stick them into a book. I simply declared that my responsibility to the planet outweighed my responsibility to an inflexible marking policy & bought no more exercise books.
    My line manager was outraged until he saw how much money it saved both in stationary & photocopying budgets.
    I also sometimes show progress using version control, so adjustments made post verbal feedback can be seen.
    Luckily I am in a school that genuinely believes that quality feedback is more important than proof of feedback, or might not have been so bold.

10. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"Nothing that schools say or do in relation to progress really makes any sense - there's a "Subject Genius" blog about it here: https://www.tes.com/blog/what-progress"

The voice of sense. I vote you for President.

The number of schools I've been to in the last few years, where they have made a conscious decision to sod the planet; they insist on printing computer and ICT stuff off, especially in KS3, then sticking it in an exercise book, then the teachers comment on what was stuck in the book, then the student responds to the teacher's comments, then the teacher is expected to follow up on the advice given and provide evidence that they have done this.

This nonsense still persists. Thankfully, I'm now currently watching the sun set over the beach in southern Thailand, before hitting the bars ......

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  11. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

This nonsense will exist forever unless OFSTED criticises a school for doing it. OFSTED state clearly that they only check that a school follows it's own marking/feedback policy.

Senior school management work on the simple principle that you can never produce too much paperwork.

Excessive marking is educationally pointless, leads to the massive workload responsible for making teachers ill and is a major cause of recruitment and retention problems. OFSTED could end pointless marking in a heartbeat but choose not to do so. I wonder why???

12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

This still happened in many of the Computer Departments I worked in though in the last few years. To show “progress”, the HoDs would insist that teachers would do this silly paper thing for one unit, then repeat it for the next, completely unrelated unit, except the criteria for “progress” between the units were arbitrary notions about what had to be achieved to show progress.

It’s a bit like designing a spoon for one task, then singing a song for the next task, and inventing criteria to show progress between the two.

This method of assessment and progress has been around in ICT and Computing for at least since the National Curriculum got introduced a few decades ago. It is so ingrained into the psyche of the subject despite being completely billix, that it will take a huge effort to break it down.

13. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. I don't agree with the marking policy but I have to do what I'm told.

I have been trying to get Onenote to work but permissions issues at our school meant I cant even open an online Classnote in the desktop version.

I managed to get it setup to the point I could share work with the students but they have no way of sending it back to me.

Could anyone who uses Office 365 let me know how it works for you and would you be willing to pm your IT technicians email so I could forward it on to mine? Hes never done this before so has been trying to make it work for weeks.