1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you show a split digraph when using a phoneme frame?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mrspinkshoes, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Can anyone explain (or direct me to an explanation of) how to use a phoneme frame for words with split digraphs?

I have spent too long googling without success! Thanks.

2. Hmmm... And how about decoding and spelling foxes and sixes? What is the 'x' code for? Or is it the 'e' that's code for something weird?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

the x is code for ks in foxes and boxes
    (it's code for gs in exams ...)

4. I don't agree. Foxes and sixes etc. have an extra /s/ it's more like 'x' is code for /ks/ /s/, and the 'e' is code for /i/ but I would never attempt to get a child to remember and internalise all that! I would simply talk about what you say when there is more than one fox and how plurals are written and look at example words. SP taken to the nth degree can tie you in knots.

5. Msz

the x is code for ks and then you have e and s
    f-o-ks-e-s

6. In a word such as 'take' there are three phonemes so a three box phoneme frame should be used: t, a-e, k. This shows the child that the e is definitely linked to the a and this is the order in which they hear the sounds. Yes, it looks wrong but this is useful to highlight what split digraphs are all about and how to use them.

7. The whole split digraph thing rather goes against the usefulness of the rule of decoding left to right. I would never use a phoneme frame when doing them as it would be confusing for the children however you configured it.

8. I do not agree. This is not the way it is spoken. Maybe it's the accent in this part of the world, although I've never thought so before.

9. Msz

my class would probably pronounce it
    f-o-ks-iz

10. How is it spoken in your part of the world?

11. f-o-ks-z-i-z, to be precise.

12. Well, that's a real tongue twister! It takes some oral agility to put a /z/ after the /s/[​IMG]
    I suppose it is like the children up here who insist that 'drowned' is 'drownded' or that 'film' is 'fillum'[​IMG]

13. I find it harder without the z.

14. Msz

You mean it isn't!![​IMG]

15. Well mine love to eat sangwidge and crips.

16. Msz

we have lots on chimblees