1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you react when you are asked a non-relevant question at teaching interviews? Do you answer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by z_a_39, Jul 9, 2020.

1. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Yeh an Omani asked me out of the blue if I was married in a UK face 2 face interview, and I'd just split with the misses yeh and so I said I was separated. He said he was sorry about it and then while I was ansiring the next question by another interviewer, he got up yeh and left the room this was probably a code to tell the other interviewers to finish off the interview lol

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I forgot to mention this gem:

"Which is more important to you, the job or the salary?"

ajrowing likes this.
  3. Romoletto

Romoletto Occasional commenter

Don’t know if this counts, but applying for a job in the UAE the interview was held in London by their Ministry of Education and involved writing a lesson plan under exam style conditions around an unseen topic (it’s was for an ESL role and the topic was simply “present tense”) the second half of the exam like paper asked the candidate to write an essay on the educational philosophy which had informed their lesson plan. You then got quizzed on your lesson plan and educational philosophy by an interviewer. In my case she seemed to think my lesson plan was rubbish, made it very evident and the whole conversation didn’t even last 3 minutes.

This was all very different to any U.K. jobs I had ever interviewed for, where I was observed teaching (even if only for five minutes to an
    Interview panel of one, yes this has happened)

l have often wondered why the exam style conditions since that wouldn’t be reflective of the realities of the job surely

4. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

# facepalm #