1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how do you plan your week/half term

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, Oct 22, 2011.

1. can anyone share exactly what things they do each week - we are trialling new ways of working and new ideas as we have a new Head and I feel very confused as to what is best practice in reception.
    we currently teach 2 small groups 20 mins phonics daily, usually whole class 15 mins maths daily and we are doing talk for writing too which potentially could be longer with follow up group work. We also have a designated play time and snack time and p.e. as well as a stay and play after noon each week. It seems very adult led!
    I am just wondering where continuous and enhanced provision fits in and also do you target 12 children each day or by each week and do you do focus observations daily, weekly etc? do you have a topic or overview for the half term or do you just do the phonics/maths and then childrens interestes in continuous provision.?
    we would be very grateful for an overview of what we should be doing really so we can plan better and be more orgnaised.
    thank you so much for any advice!

2. We have a half-termly topic which is flexible and takes into account children's interests. Daily lessons are phonics (20min), maths and literacy (no more than 10 minutes for each of these). During the day if one member of staff is listening to readers or working with a focus group, then the other member of staff is supporting learning in the continuous provision. We don't have play time as our continous provision includes outdoor activities.
    As far as possible the CP is linked to the topic but only if it makes sense to do so.
    As far as focused observations are concerned I tend to do them as and when I can. We are asked to do one a term so I guess I'll be busy after the half-term break!

3. louisea

louisea New commenter

Hi
    I am new to EYFS so am still finding my way (its a big change from Y1). We are a one form entry primary and I have 29 children. We have 15/20 minutes phonics and then I tend to follow that up with a focus activity with certain groups (depends what the focus is as to who does that) we have a set time for snack and then playtime. Our outdoor area isn't big enough for running around plus staff have to cover playground duty so the class go out to play.
    We have 10/15 numeracy and then a focus activity to follow that up. My problem is that I don't always get through all of my groups in a day.
    CP is sometimes lnked to the topic but not always. I try and split it so that my TA and I both do an even split of focus activities over the week.
    I assess as and when but haven't yet done a detailed assessment. Don't know when I would fit 29 individual observations/assessments in although they are only supposed to be brief aren't they?
    Louise

4. About 10 minutes. Sounds easier than it is though!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

That is one full day observing a week! [​IMG]
    100 mins a week teaching phonics
    50 mins numeracy
    50 mins literacy
    3hrs 20 mins total [​IMG]

6. I meant to add, we do a focused observation for each child once per term

7. Msz

phew!

8. .and even then it is hard to get them done! What do you think of focused obs Msz?

9. Msz

I think that incidental obs can be more valuable and that focused obs need to have a real purpose and not be for the sake of external pressure. I've read some truely horrendous observations that tell me nothing important about the child

10. My thoughts exactly!

11. louisea

louisea New commenter

I also think I've got better evidence of learning by just sitting with a child playing & talking. Watching children make 'g' in the playdough and seeing children writing lists of random cvc words tells me so much about those children.
    Louise

12. We scrapped detailed/focussed obs recently. I found they didnt tell me much at all and was a waste of my time. I was recently advised to only observe children that we were worried about. I agree that incidental obs have far more value and would question watching children for long periods of time and just writing stuff like " H goes in home corner, sits down and plays with doll" etc etc

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

True. The trouble is with the short, useful obs is that you can miss so much [and so many children] out and that, when the paperwork is scrutinized, there are huge gaps. The worst outcome of that is when you lack evidence - or 'evidence, Evidence, EVIDENCE!!' as my HT once shouted at me, there might be a presumption that the child is less capable than s/he really is. I think this is one of Mystery10's bugbears.
    Personally, I hate leaving things so much to chance, even though I love the goose-pimple moments when you spot a child doing something that you had no idea they could do.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

I should have said written evidence. We are supposed to be intelligent adults who are capable of making judgments without writing down every little thing, after all.

15. Think carefully about this. Could you imagine (or tolerate) a doctor posting this on a doctors' forum?