1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you plan maths?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beethan31, Apr 11, 2011.

1. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. I teach high ability Year 5. I taught low ability last year and there is such a big gap between the two that I am planning from scratch again this year. I look at the objectives (sometimes Year 6 for my most able) and plan my own lessons to fit with the objectives. I found that as I got to know the kids better and as I got to grips with high ability (which I now love, never thought I'd say that!) planning became a lot easier.
    I teach the blocks in order (Blocks A1-E1 in Autumn, 2-E2 in Spring, A3-E3 in summer) but don't do the objectives in any particular order. As I teach high ability, I often 'extend' the objectives for my most able group. For example, when covering area, I extended my most able group by teaching them and getting them to find the area of a circle using Pi. I know this isn't specified in the framework, but my more able loved it and understood it really well.
    What year group will you be teaching?

4. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Thanks Marlin.
    Chocolate cupcake: I'll be teaching Y3/4 or just Y4.
    Do you guys just use the documentation from the renewed framework website or do you use anything from anywhere else? I've found various documents that plot the objectives across the year, or that show progression within each objective (across 'I can' statements). I'm not really sure which (if any) are worth using. I know it's largely down to personal choice but I just wondered.

5. I use the maths framework, then link it to specific APP objectives. Some of them don't match, therefore its hard to assess the children if you do not link the 2 in your planning.

6. That is just what I was going to suggest!
    When you know the levels of the children that you are going to be teaching, download the APP sheets and use these to support your planning. You will see the progression between the levels and also ensure you are teaching the things that you will assess!

7. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Thanks for your advice. Our school doesn't use APP - we have our own system, but I'll have a look at the APP stuff and our own and see if I can cross reference them.