1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you plan a set 1 RWI phonics session?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Oct 15, 2011.

1. So they've TOLD you to do a RWI lesson but not given you any form of information on the actual scheme? How bizarre!!

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

You can't really be expected to do an RWI session unless you have had training or at the very least access to the guidebooks.
    It's a very specific way of teaching and comes with its own resources. I really don't understand why the school are asking you to do this. If they want someone who can teach RWI then they would be better advised having it as an essential in the person spec for the job, expecting that you refer to it in your letter of application and are able to discuss it at interview.
    My school does RWI so I know how to teach it but I could only do it with the resources. You need to ask the school about access to RWI resources - there are cards for each sound, specific books for children to read etc.
    Also, I'm not sure what you mean by set 1 - the RWI phonics phases are letters A to J, children are taught in groups of similar phonics knowledge. You'll need to know which phase they are in before you plan your lesson.

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

RWI the first sounds are called set 1 sounds. But you really need to access the handbook.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

When's the interview? Can't you ask to borrow it from the school? Or another school? Or buy it on the internet? I'm a parent with one at home. You need to find out what they mean by set 1 as well. There are two books you would need as far as I can tell - the phonics handbook and the lesson plans book - but they should have other RWI resources that they use in school. Sounds like an interview where the job is going to go to someone already working in the school, or who already does RWI in their previous job? But maybe if you go the extra mile to find out what resources you can borrow and prepare with it's will get you some brownie points and the job?
    The phonics handbook shows you the regular tests that are done to establish where on the scheme the children should be. There are also get writing books, sound cards, decodable readers, and I think some IWboard software that can be purchased - that's a bit impractical for you though as an interviewee.
    Or you might find that it's a school that uses RWI just a little bit only ........ in which case if you know where they are in the speed sounds and what the speed sounds are - I can type out some of the stuff for you if you want when you have more details - you can just prepare your own phonics lesson ......... not really RWI but compatible with it.

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Silly me, I was thinking set as in ability group. Set 1 sounds are all the single letter sounds, plus ch, sh, th, qu, ng and nk if that's any use to the OP. You could do with borrowing the handbook and a set of cards though if you are going to teach it in an interview lesson.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh of course, penny drops. But even then everyone's comments still apply. And you would need to know where in Speed Sounds Set 1 they are, and whether they can blend or not etc.