1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you organise your whiteboards and pens?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Aug 3, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

As the title suggests! Trying to find a way which will work for me. Last year, with 5/6, i had them on their tables, but was a bit of a nightmare when i wanted them on the carpet. Was also a real pain as kids didnt put lids on properly, they went walkin into other classrooms, some tables ended up with all of them etc!!! I was thinking perhaps putting them in individual wallets with pen and wipe, and keeping them in box on carpet, but then what if i want them at tables etc. Im moving to yr2 so im assuming i wont need them so much at tables as i will on the carpet. What do you think? What do you do?

2. rainbowdrop86

As the title suggests! Trying to find a way which will work for me. Last year, with 5/6, i had them on their tables, but was a bit of a nightmare when i wanted them on the carpet. Was also a real pain as kids didnt put lids on properly, they went walkin into other classrooms, some tables ended up with all of them etc!!! I was thinking perhaps putting them in individual wallets with pen and wipe, and keeping them in box on carpet, but then what if i want them at tables etc. Im moving to yr2 so im assuming i wont need them so much at tables as i will on the carpet. What do you think? What do you do?

3. I've decided to get those cardboard wallets (the 3 flap ones that you can get in bulk from Staples and such places) and put 1 x whiteboard, 1 x marker & 1 x cloth in each one and write each child's name on the front. That way it will be their responsibility to to replace the lids and make sure their boards are properly wiped. I plan on keeping them in a big tub at the front of the class or the children keeping them in their drawers.

That way you can tell which children spend more time doodling than anything as their pens will run out first!!

:)

4. I am also going along these lines, except I am using the plastic popper wallets. Each one is labelled with the child's name. They will probably be stored in house colour boxes on the side/in their trays. I have seen this work well somewhere previously as children become responsible for their own things.

5. I used plastic zip wallets - the cardboard ones won't last a term. Each child had their own and we also kept maths equipment in them - calculators number squares etc etc. Lasted all year - keep the spare whiteboard pens and other equipment in a tray (or the TA has control given you are moving to year 2) so that if they lose their pen or it runs out, they can help themselves and not have to disturb you.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't you believe it. I find whiteboards useful even into year 7 & 8. I use them for children to draft ideas, not worrying about presentation, spelling etc. If they need to keep the info, they are easily photocopied for recording purposes
    The best way I've come across is as others have mentioned is wallets. They can then be handed out on tables or on the carpet.

7. I have 5 trays, each labelled with a table number (so it doesn't matter whether children are sitting in literacy, maths or topic groups). Each tray contains 6 whiteboards, rubbers and pens. Table monitors collect the trays and put them on their table.
    Each table is responsible for ensuring they replace their bits in the tray after use.
    This has worked really well for me this year (Yr 3) and put a stop to the time wasted handing them out at the beginning of the lesson, when children are sitting on the carpet.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was thinking of having them in trays and having tray monitors. But I am also wondering if they will fit in a polypocket, then one per child. Or just having them stored as a set of whiteboards, a set of pens and a set of cloths and having monitors.

I'll maybe watch this thread and make a decision later...

Actually I'm moving to year 2 and they might have smaller whiteboards than in year 6, so would definitely fit in polypockets...

9. If you use theA4 sized wallets a full sized whiteboard will fit in easily. Minnieminx - if you have them all in a tray with tray monitors - the only problem with this is that they CAN take a long time to hand out and collect back in again - one way round this I have used in the past is to have 5 or 6 trays with sets in them so that you don't jus have one or two kids giving out 30 whiteboard sets, rather you have 5 or 6 kids giving out 5 or 6sets, so it gets done quicker.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I had the one tray last year, but that was with year 6 who are a little more capable of the 'take one and pass it on' idea.

The year before the boards were kept in table drawers.

11. I keep a whiteboard (and a line guide) for each child in a ziplock wallet in the middle of each table. Pens I keep put away are only given out as needed - otherwise they doodle with them and waste the ink/leave lids off etc.

12. rainbowdrop86

Yeah I think I'll try the zip lock pockets and have them all stored in a large tray, give them out as needed. Just hope the school doesn't mind 27wallers disappearing. I don't want them stored on tables as want to limit the amount of clutter on childrens desks. I'll see how it works out