1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you organise your stationary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Bonnie23, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

So I should state I'm a real stationary nerd. I looooove buying things for my classroom for both myself and my students and I don't mind spending my own money to do it (within reason).

What has angered me this week though is that I spent about £70 on my classroom tables stocking them with scissors, glue, pencil colours, spare pen, whiteboards, etc etc and stuff has gone missing. This has even happened when I check them every lesson and although I'm in a really good school as I've just started I don't think I've established myself enough at the moment to be able to have stationary that won't get taken.

At the moment my stationary is kept in boxes, with lids, and inside of those are smaller boxes to section them off.

TO THE POINT: How do you store your stationary? I teach a subject that involves a lot of sketching so pupils need access to equipment and I don't believe they should have to spend extra money to provide equipment for a subject, we have a lot of Pupil Premium and it's not fair for them to have to spend even more money or experience a disadvantage.

I have access to a laser cutter/workshop if anyone has made their own holders, it would be great to see pics if anyone has any available.

I want something where I can literally walk past the table at the end of the lesson and spot if even one thing is missing, so nothing in boxes basically.

Thanks, sorry for such a long post for such a small issue!

2. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Could you have some sort of visual template? Like they used to in old-style word work shops?

3. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

Don't bother with the expensive YPO pots. I bought a set of tubs in the pound shop. Spend £5 got 15 of them. Plus I got a couple of wire mesh pencil pots in there too. I tend to get a lot of pound shop stuff

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You'll get nowhere organising stationAry ...

SLouise91, peter12171 and minnie me like this.
  5. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Big box of scissors and glues under my desk. Trusted kid to take them all back at the end of the lesson.

I tried putting cheap Ikea boxes on each desk with glues and scissors and other stationery resources on each desk. By Christmas one had had its lid broken, by Easter two had gone missing, by this year I can't be bothered.

Also why are you spending your own money on glue sticks and pencils? Our department has a budget for that sort of stuff.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Whoops.. Always been one of those spellings I've struggled with. Thanks for pointing it out. Very good pun though!

The reason is that my subject isn't in the 'graced' subjects of the Ebacc, or at least not yet. Therefore we're finding our budget getting smaller and smaller each year. We do practical projects and the students make things to take home.

The sore point for me is that they're expected to pay for them to take them home; (I adore science) but for example when they do experiments in science no one turns around to the students and say 'why haven't you paid for your chemicals you've used?!' so I'm trying to stretch the budget as much as possible so the students don't have to pay for much, if anything.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Someone once gave me a useful tip - there's an 'e' for envelope in stationery.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Or you buy stationEry from a stationErs.

snail_friendly likes this.
  9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I was just about to say that!

marlin likes this.
  10. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I was going to say about the stationer ...

11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi SLouise91

Why don't you say something to the students about the situation? That you have limited resources ( you don't have to say it is your money) and you have to decide how to spend it wisely so everyone has a chance to learn/work. Taking equipment that does not belong to them, affects everyone and the word for that is stealing. I know it is not your duty to teach morals, but it would give the group something to think about. Of course some things may get lost accidentally, but that is not what you are talking about - you are talking about things being taken.

£70 is a lot of money and clearly you are a committed and generous person ; it is unfair that some students have taken advantage of that: they should be grateful they have a teacher who has gone above and beyond what they are expected to do.

It is not a small point -there is an important principle here: be grateful to those who help you and don't steal from them.

On supply, I have had students who say they don't have pens borrow mine and then deliberately break them. Now, I very rarely lend any equipment. I know the pen only cost me 5 or 10 pence, but that isn't the point.

12. install

install Star commenter

Count it in and count it out.

Lock it away at the end of each day....

Flere-Imsaho likes this.