1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you organise your day in FS2?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by EraFleur, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm just wondering how other people organise their day in FS2? I work in a unit, 4 members of staff. How much time/how often do your children work with an adult 1:1 or small groups. How do you ensure they access all areas? Do you direct them to specific areas at certain times or do you allow them total freedom to choose?
    Thanks

2. Hi, I'm just wondering how other people organise their day in FS2? I work in a unit, 4 members of staff. How much time/how often do your children work with an adult 1:1 or small groups. How do you ensure they access all areas? Do you direct them to specific areas at certain times or do you allow them total freedom to choose?
    Thanks

3. Hi,
    I work in a unit with a Nursery class. Fs2 has 30 full time children and FS1 has 52 children split between morning and afternoon sessions. We begin the day with register and a short phonics session 15-20 minutes (letters and sounds for FS1 & RML for FS2 split into 3 ability groups). Children then free to choose indoors and out doors. Reception teacher works with 1 group of 6 children on 10-15 minute focus activity (literacy). We stop mid morning for fruit and milk in 4 key worker groups. Children then choose with one group working with Reception teacher on focussed maths activity again 10-15 mins. At the end of the morning we wrap up with whole class maths carpet session. After lunch we have a 10 minute carpet session whole class either PSE, news time or similar, then choosing again whilst 2 guided read groups for 10 minutes. Children spend much of their day indoors or out (their choice), engaged in child initiated activities. We don't restrict areas and we don't make them visit certain areas unless it's an activity we want them to engage in. We have tried sending groups to areas but found that children spent their time saying "can we choose yet?" or "can we go outside yet?". We spent more time policing children who were not in the right area that it became ridiculous and clearly wasn't working for the children so we relaxed and let them decide. We now have a calm, busy environment!

4. I'd be interested to know josepphabigail how you assess. And how do you monitor who does what and how often?.Don't you find that several of the children head for the same activity again and again and again?How do you extend that type of activity?