1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you organise exercise books?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rightasrain, Jul 28, 2012.

1. rightasrain

rightasrain New commenter

Hi all,

Just thinking about how I am going to organise my exercise books for the new year and just wanted to see how you lot do it for some inspiration. We have quite a few books and I wanted to organise them into groups with the strong plastic open top pouches - but we have none available at school and I can't find any on the Internet! So if anyone can tell me where to get them from it would be a great help too! I went into staples and the sales assistant didn't have a clue what I was on about; didn't realise they would be that hard to find!

Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you mean magazine files?

These sort of things?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=magazine+files

I have the white card ones, £1.60 for 5!

3. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

Hey, I think that's a great idea! I think you might be talking about these - http://www.ryman.co.uk/0161315268/Ryman-Document-Box-60mm/Product - but these are quite expensive! Let me know if you find cheaper ones! Could do different colours for literacy and numeracy and probably find A5 ones for smaller books to.

4. rightasrain

Ahhh no I didn't but that's a good idea! Thanks! I mean the ones that are literally like polly pockets but they are slightly bigger and are more durable and don't have punched holes...

5. rightasrain

Ooh, I also like that idea, probably looks a bit neater too! They are quite expensive, I may have a look round aldi/home bargains and see if I can find any :) thanks

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm with the assistant from staples, I've no idea what you are on about! :)

7. Do you mean ziploc wallets? Do a search for zipped wallets. They are strong plastic but you would need the A3 size to hold a large amount of books.
    Amazon do a pack of 5 for just under a tenner.

8. I like my books separated into groups too but find the easiest way for me is just to put a small coloured sticker relating to their group over the spine of the book so that when they are on the shelf it is very easy to pick a pile of books one group at a time. It makes organinsing them back into groups easy too. If a child moves groups I just change the sticker! Works well from me and the children.

Are the things you are talking about zip wallets?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006WYWDRQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0031YJLR0&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0BRCKXCKNS8PKC4V5BHM

9. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

But even when you've put them together in a wallet you're still going to have to put them somewhere aren't you?
    I asked the same question a bit ago and my conclusion was (through some fab advice!) to turf the kids out of their trays this year and use them to store books and class materials. They only fill them with tatty bits of paper and dried up bananas anyway.

10. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/585479.aspx?PageIndex=1

this is the thread I mentioned.

11. I know the pocket things you mean, rightasrain. The school I have just left use them a lot. They get them from the local consortium, and I seem to remember that they have an odd name - not what you'd think at all.
    I know that doesn't help when I can't remember what the odd name is, but I'll keep thinking, and it might come back to me. I'll let you know if it does!

12. Ahhh no I didn't but that's a good idea! Thanks! I[​IMG]

13. I knew it would come to me ... They are called, bizarrely, work card holders. These are not quite the same as the ones from our local consortium, but very similar:
    http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/pc/4892337/id=VCB47/&pr=Q27&cm_mmc=froogle-_-shopping-_-feed-_-VCB47?_$ja=tsid:11227%7Ccc:%7Cprd:VCB47%7Ccat:Storing+and+Archiving%3E+Plastic+Pockets%3E+U-Shaped+Pockets%3E+U-Shaped+Pockets

I use the consortium ones for groups of books, then stand the pockets up in a plastic box per subject from ikea. I can then grab, say, the English box, and quickly pop the plastic wallets on each group table, with the correct books in for that ability group.

I don't like sticking coloured stickers on children's books because I think it is just another way of labelling the children themselves.

14. Ooh, sorry, paragraphs disappeared!

15. My class do not have their own tray ( all they do is store rubbish in it .) I have 5 tables in my classroom. I use ****** tray labels and have 5 maths trays (3D shapes) 5 literacy trays (punctuation) and 5 topic tables. I have a coloured star / label on their books which match the tray. At the beginning of the lesson a child from each table will collect their tray and put it away at the end of the session. It also makes it easier when marking groups of books. In the morning for early morning work my class check their marking and put their book away ready for the lesson. I have a child from my class who is also in my math set puts the maths books away in the correct tray. It has worked really well and means my classroom is a lot tidier!!! (well ..... ) I did have the other books split into boys / girl but am planning on splitting them into trays also.
    Hope this makes sense xxx

16. I used the cheapy card magazine files from IKEA last year for Lit and Maths, the kids were so organised as every lesson the same child from each table would grab their file and give the books out. I'm doing same again this year but I've also got some tubs from IKEA so all other books can be already sorted table by table,They'll just go on the shelves where I was going to put the piles of books anyway!! x

17. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter