1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you organise and manage everyday assessment?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by REeck, May 26, 2019.

1. REeck

REeck New commenter

Hi,
    Hoping for some advice, currently teaching in special needs and want to move into mainstream reception. I have experience of early years but in the context of a non-school setting.
    One of my interview questions has been how would you make assessment manageable?
    Can people tell me the logistics of how they assess, the frequency, how many per week, in what areas and how you record this and whose responsibility this is e.g. key worker, teacher, teaching assistant
    Thank you so much

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Assessment happens all the time, but you don't always need to write it down. Trust your teacher knowledge/ professional judgement.
    Ensure your routine enables you to support children in play so that you can assess what they do independently .
    Ensure observations etc are carried out by all staff in the class.
    Record what you need to support your planning. Don't get drawn into the 'how many' game.
    Consider doing less frequent but longer observations that really show childrens' characteristics of effective learning.
    Involve children in their learning diaries as it's a perfect opportunity to revisit learning. Value this as part of your daily routine.
    Don't do endless 'tick lists'type assessments that tell you this week little Johnny knew 4 sounds but next week he might know 5. Not best use of time.
    Consider using video to reflect on later.
    Attend training to support yourself and your team.
    Consider looking at Anna Ephgrave "reception year in action".

I'm sure others will have other ideas.

Finally, build on what you do now in your SEND role, there will be many transferable skills.

3. REeck

REeck New commenter

Thank you so much for your advice and the tips for further reading - lots of great ideas