1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you manage your time?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Oct 16, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What mark you give?

Unless it's coursework for an external exam it doesn't really matter that much.

Do you have to give a mark? Can't you just leave a brief comment?

Just give 'em a mark. If they moan at you (and only if it comes from them) then you say one of the following:

1 You're quite right. I think I under-marked you. Have an A+.
    2 It was a thin line between A and A- and I think I got it right. Byee.

If they don't contest it? There's no problem.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Get in at 8... leave between 4:30-5 depending on marking.

Work Sundays but most of that is procrastinating.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm going to be working to contract next week which for Scottish teachers is a maximum of 35 hours a week.
    :eek::Do_O

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am at my desk by 7.20am and get a lot done in that hour or so. I do some marking after work a couple of times in a week - one evening and on a Sunday. Most of my marking is done in my frees and then planning and copying in those morning slots. I try to be really organised about saving and reusing resources and IWB files. I think that is easier in secondary though.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Am I to take it that teachers aren't part of the growing trend to eat breakfast out on the way to work as described here? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37496722

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I treat myself to a Costa coffee on Fridays....

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I could buy breakfast in the school dining room for 30p an item. It would be a waste of my most productive work time though so I stick to my bowl of porridge at home.

Lara mfl 05 and lanokia like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Also... school food... never a good idea.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Duke of York

I have to confess I've drunk a few of those on my travels around the UK out of desperation. Are you able to explain why your understanding of "treat" differs so wildly from mine? I hasten to add that I don't intend to diminish your enjoyment of your treat.

But what of the proper breakfast on the way to work that might set you up for the gruelling day ahead as it appears others are becoming accustomed to? Should this only be reserved for the likes of academy managers and SLT?

Incidentally, if we have any wordsmiths on here tonight, would I be correct in understanding that gruelling is derived from gruel? I've sometimes wondered what gruel might be and was enlightened by accident over the weekend that it's a broth made from boiled bones, which sounds worse than it probably is. As any chef knows, a good bone stock is the basis of many a good recipe.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Once a week a cup of hot milk with a vaguely coffee flavour can be just the thing to get you through the day.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Gruel to me is a thin porridge - no meat (even bones) as that would be expensive.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Thanks all. I think my marking is far too detailed and that's something I need to cut back on. It doesn't help that I'm planning for three year groups but I guess next year it shouldn't be as bad.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i eat my porridge at school. much easier to get there earlier before all the traffic hits my road. if i sat down to eat at home, i'd never get up again.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

I can't remember the last time I had breakfast! I did start eating cereal but found myself feeling too sick after eating it.

15. Duke of York

If I live to be a thousand, I shall never understand why people choose to eat porridge. I had it as a punishment when I was a child and imagined we only had to suffer it because that was all the family finances could stretch to.

Our mother, bless her, took the trouble to buy jars of jam and tins of Golden Syrup to stir into it to make it palatable, but everyone of us agreed that when our ship came in we'd never touch that shyte again unless we had our collars felt and ended up in jail, which thankfully, we never have.

Is there a porridge eater on here who in all honesty wouldn't prefer to have something else instead; and if there is, can they let us know their preference for the colours they'd like their padded cell to be made up in?

I bet they're all cyclists whose farting from the roughage accounts for their erratic behaviour on the roads. Am I wrong?

SLouise91 likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

@SLouise91 I've read a few of your threads over the last week or so and become increasingly worried. Your workload is affecting your health. Stop fannying about on the internet asking for advice on these things or worrying about buying extra coloured pencils - you need to act now.

Work less. Get up and have breakfast before going into school. If you are sick as a result of eating cereal you need to phone in sick and see your doctor. Come home at a sensible hour and have dinner. Don't be a workload martyr or believe that there's strength in working through this. It's not sustainable and something has to change now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Flere-Imsaho

I like porridge. It can be horrid if it's not made right though.

(I don't cycle)
    :D

lilachardy likes this.