1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you manage your music budget? HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Music' started by funkyteacherman, Jul 26, 2011.

1. So the holidays have started and it's back to my Eutopian vision...
    I'm starting a new job in September as Head of Music in a boys' comprehensive and I'm trying to get creative about new ways to bring the music department money. The school is very short of money (aren't they all!) and my capitation is workable (£1596) I have a few ideas about concerts and hiring out instruments but there must be loads of great ideas out there.
    Come on all you savvy HoDs with brilliant ideas - how can I boost my capitation either through fund raising or business ideas.
    I'm also interested if anyone has any great tips about managing the budget - I'm worried about not spending this money wisely.
    Any suggetions will be much appreciated.

2. So the holidays have started and it's back to my Eutopian vision...
    I'm starting a new job in September as Head of Music in a boys' comprehensive and I'm trying to get creative about new ways to bring the music department money. The school is very short of money (aren't they all!) and my capitation is workable (£1596) I have a few ideas about concerts and hiring out instruments but there must be loads of great ideas out there.
    Come on all you savvy HoDs with brilliant ideas - how can I boost my capitation either through fund raising or business ideas.
    I'm also interested if anyone has any great tips about managing the budget - I'm worried about not spending this money wisely.
    Any suggetions will be much appreciated.

3. I can't add to the things suggested for boosting your budget but with regard to spending the budget wisely. I start off with working out how much I need to spend on the day to day things e.g. stationery, headphones, cables etc. (leave an amount for photocopying) and then work out how much is left and then spend this on the bigger things to develop the music department further, this year I've ordered more portable recording devices so the pupils can record and upload their work to their user areas at the end of lessons. When I started at my current school, I didn't order anything like this for half a term as I wanted to see how things went and see what I and the music department needed.
    I use the money raised from concerts/gigs etc. to fund extra-curricular music, (sheet music, drum kit for performances, workshops for those involved in extra-curricular music etc.) Music for wind bands and orchestras is very expensive so see what you can borrow - the secondary schools in my cluster share this type of music so that we don't have to keep buying it new.

4. So I am really fortunate. I have 2000 to spend (last year 3000). It's an academy...However, I too buy very little in the first term and really make do with what I have. I have given up on buying headphones. They get nicked when I am not there (a boy, when questioned by the police on the last day of school, had 2 pairs on him!! The police want to prosecute). Kids will bring their own with some spares avaialable. I am buying a PA in September and that is it. I may even appeal to teh principal to buy it from another budget as it is used school wide and was also broken while I was off sick.
    You have to be a little cheeky. Get what you can from other sources. The worst that can happen is that 'they' say no.

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

So much for the everlasting untold riches of the academies. £1000 reduction in one year.
    I have about half the kids using headphones and half without.
    Don't you?
    Good advice.

6. Thanks for all the responses. The headphone idea is a good one I think. I've already registered my interest in having student teachers next year. I really like the idea of getting a plan together that cashes in on music's unique ability to make money as a department. I appreciate the help.