1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you manage the KS1/2 mix of a Y2/3 class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Twinkles, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Due to numbers, we are going to change the mix of our classes and will have a Y2/3 class for the first time but just wondering how will we manage things like: KS1 get fruit and KS2 don't, KS1 have a break in the afternoon and KS2 don't, KS1 lunch starts 10 minutes before KS2 and they also finish earlier at the end of the day.
    I think it's important for the Y3 children to feel that they have 'moved up to Juniors', especially since they'll be with the same children as they were last year (apart from last year's YRs) but also want to make sure the Y2s aren't missing out on what they are entitled to.
    Also, as I'll be teaching Y4/5/6, I want to make sure that I don't get the Y3 children dumped on me!
    Just wondering how other schools handle this, or if anyone has any good ideas!

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Due to numbers, we are going to change the mix of our classes and will have a Y2/3 class for the first time but just wondering how will we manage things like: KS1 get fruit and KS2 don't, KS1 have a break in the afternoon and KS2 don't, KS1 lunch starts 10 minutes before KS2 and they also finish earlier at the end of the day.
    I think it's important for the Y3 children to feel that they have 'moved up to Juniors', especially since they'll be with the same children as they were last year (apart from last year's YRs) but also want to make sure the Y2s aren't missing out on what they are entitled to.
    Also, as I'll be teaching Y4/5/6, I want to make sure that I don't get the Y3 children dumped on me!
    Just wondering how other schools handle this, or if anyone has any good ideas!

3. I had a Y2/3 class. The Y2's had an afternoon break whereas the Y3's didn't, which at times was a bit frustrating when we were in the middle of something and they disappeared! All the class received free fruit so that wasn't a problem but other KS2 classes didn't, however none of the chn from those other KS2 classes seemed to comment about it. The Y3's I think did feel that they were kS2 chn but they were the majority in the class, so I guess that will have made a difference.
    In the class there was perhaps some KS1 equipment that you wouldn't otherwise have found in a KS2 classroom - some lego, construction toys, some KS1 books etc, but it really did seem to work fine.
    Lunch and home times were the same for all so luckily that wasn't an issue.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We have this year 2/3 mix. The KS 1 kids go out in the afternoon for fruit and play and the KS2 lot stay put and do French. Otherwise, they are jsut taught on ability, some of the Year 2s are streets ahead of the Year 3s, so it all comes out in the wash.

5. I'm going to be having a Yr 2/3 mix in September too. I'm aiming to teach by ability rather than age too as I have done for my whole class of year 2s this year. Luckily our KS1 and 2 both have an afternoon play so we will just keep that as it is and they all get a snack time just before first play so we will stick with that as it it now too. The only difference is that KS1 get golden time and KS2 dont but I am going to be generous and give the whole class 15 minutes on a Friday afternoon anyway. They are still only 7 at the end of the day.
    J

6. How you cope depends on the support of Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 !. I had this with a 50% mix of each.Pomises were made to both stages of parents that children would be treated like the children in the straight Year 2 class or the straight Year 3. It wasn't easy as assembly times were different and the children had to go to the appropriate assembly. Likewise breaks. Also Key 1 had afternoon play while Key Stage 2 don't.
    I found it very very difficult. The success of the class will depend on the support of everyone else. Saying you don't want to get the Year 3's dumped on you won't help. Without support from others it will not work, the teacher will be pulling their hair out and worse the children will suffer.
    It sounds a small school and it shold work. Maybe you could have the Year 3's for that 10 minutes before lunch and do some oral maths/spelling.
    At the end of the day maybe someone could dismiss them from the Infant class so the Year 3 can carry on working. Losing this 10 minute in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon is 20 minutes a day - 100 minutes a week - 3900 minutes in the year or 65 hours of learning time !.
    It be a success if everyone supports this class. Mine was not a success. I had to beg and borrow resources, beg a TA to come and collect my Year 2 to take them to the canteen as it was to far away to walk unsupervised - I could go on.
    Please remember it is not the problem of the Year 2/3 class or the children. SMT need to sort out a plan of action before the start of term.