1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you manage all the marking after having a baby

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by snowcloud, Dec 5, 2011.

1. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

Any help and ideas welcome.

2. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

Any help and ideas welcome.

3. Hi, I'm guessing it depends what age and subject(s) you teach but I am a secondary languages teacher so here are some of my shortcuts...
    - peer assesing
    - setting vocab learning homeworks that they then mark in class
    - trying to do less work in books, so more speaking and role plays, computer work, display work, games etc.
    - using mini whiteboards - as above really, if we do a listening exercise there is no point in them having 1a 2b 3c or whatever in their books so we do it on mini whiteboards then I can give instant rewards (stamps) and they rub them off. They love mini wboards at my school!
    - trying to get some done in lessons - getting them to bring their work up once they've finished or going around the class with my green pen while they are working.
    I am part time and also have some Non-emplyed time at school (I'm .4 but over 2 and a half days) and haven't yet had to bring any marking home. Maybe I'm just lazy! I imagine it's tons harder, if not impossible, if you are doing English or History or similar.

4. I have created lots of marking grids - take a little while to set up but then marking becomes a tick box exercise with only small space for a comment but they are focusing on targets and how to improve/what went well. I seem to mark every night once LO has gone to bed. I also have customised stamps which say things like 'good description now try to explain why' - they save me some time. To be honest though, we are having a push on marking so I am keeping up with that but at the expense of teaching good lessons. It's a shame - I wanted to teach to teach good lessons. Not working out that way though at the moment.

5. little things really help ease the load a bit.
    I get them all to leave their books open at the right page in a pile so I don't have to flick through every book trying to find the correct page grrrrrr!
    I teach in primary school so I have the same kids every day so I mark in-depth one group per day and just give the other books a tick.
    peer-marking and assessment
    If it is something like maths where there are definite correct answers, I mark the first one and ask my TA to mark the rest (therefore, she doesn't actually have to work out any answers, just correct the work) then I have a browse through them.
    Try to do as much at lunchtime as you can (sandwich ingood luck x one hand, pen in the other)
    Stop doing extra-curricular activities. Why should you stay and do something voluntary for free while you struggle to fit in the essentials of the job AND leave your own kid/s in childcare??
    good luck x

6. I hate marking. Our school is on a big push on marking too. 2 stars and a wish type thing - takes forever. As the kids are working, I either go round or if I am feeling lazy get them to come to me so I know that the books are partially marked and then all I have to do is the comments at the end. Also get chidlren to self assess at the end of each lesson and in English peer assess when doing writing. (to a marking grid obviously)
    Hand books in open. Also I have 3 trays. red, amber, green - children hand their books in to the trays so if they are red I can mark them first.

7. As people have already said, it would depend on age/subject but I find that, well, I just don't do it as well as the school would like me to. Am I bothered?! Nope! I don't think I'll get to 60 and wish I'd marked those books a little better, I might, however, regret missed time with my baby because I was too busy adhering to the most ridiculous, unworkable marking policy I have ever come across.
    If you are more conscientious than me, then you just have to find ways to lessen the load, as people have suggested, peer marking, marking exercises together in class, perhaps not putting so much down on paper... again, depends on the age and subject I suppose?

8. Agree with jones re marksheets - we do these as a department for termly homework projects and they are fab. I also look ahead in my planner for lessons which will give me a chance to mark like when they are doing an assessment. Finally I got one of those 'verbal feedback given' stamps - brilliant!

9. verbal feedback given stamps - what a great idea!!
    In my last school though we did conferencing with pupils and had to keep short notes in the child's book on what the discussion was about. Easier than marking but still onerous and part of the evidence gathering regime that will be the death of me!