1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you make teaching URL's interesting?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Jan_Webb, Jan 18, 2012.

1. We've had a question from a trainee teacher and I want to open it out to all our expert teachers in the forums! Where do you start when teaching this subject? Which resources do you find helpful? Do you have any resources you can share?

Many thanks! It's through your professional generosity that we can help each other out!

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

you could make URLS into a lesson on website reliability?

Show things like thedogisland.com and get them to judge wether it is reliable or not, then talk about different URL's mean. then get them to pick 2 websites one reliable and one not (this is OCR Nationals), or you could give them a list of sites and they have to pick 2. differentiate. so give some really easy fakes and some really hard fake sites, there are loads out there.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Typically the subject of URLs turns up in the topic of website reliability in Y7 then is repeated ad nauseam for four more years.

Most children harbour the misconception that .com, .co.uk. org, .org.uk are all legit websites, when in fact anyone can own them. They also haven't got a clue about the low cost of registration and the only slightly higher cost of hosting a website.

Most children don't know that search engines can be manipulated to ensure one's website appears in the first three pages of search results. Careful Meta-tagging is one route - the other is paying hard cash.

You could do a URL search with a site like 1&1 to see if personalised URLs are still available for the children ie tommyjenkins.co.uk

4. For this as a starter, I have created a fake facebook page. I get a student to lo on and a scary face appears. Then discuss how they could have know it is a fake page. This seems to get students interested in the topic