1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you make multiplication practical?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShyTea, Nov 10, 2011.

1. I really want to do a practical maths lesson involving multiplication, possibly money. I wondered if I should base it around the Christmas party but that might be taking it too far.

How do you make it practical?

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

3. That's your answer for everything

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Which year group? What do you hope to achieve?

5. The original post is a bit vague. There are practical ways to develop the concept of multiplication, and practical ways to employ multiplication in solving problems. As the previous quote:

6. I teach Y5/6 all currently working at level 4 (or at least most are or being targeted for Level 4).

We are currently doing multiplication involving area but I am struggling fr a practical element involving money/decimals.

7. Erm, dunno how relevant this is or how old your class is but my Y5s on TP went bananas for Multiplication Tennis.
    So I 'serve' you 2, you hit me back 5 and I hit back 10. You serve 3 and I hit back 8 and you hit back 24. Etc :) x

8. Please could you clarify, "practical". May sound a dumb question. Depending on what you want, the answer might lead to different directions. Do you mean real life example?

9. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

The only thing I can think of for multiplication and money is simple KS1 style activities such as; a chocolate bar costs 50p, how much does it cost for 3? (although in KS1 the numbers might be easier and it would more than likely be repeated addition!)
    However, I don't think this is what you are after as I'm not sure how much a Year 5 class would like to play shops!!

10. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Perhaps you could find some inspiration in the Good Gift catalogues comparing what your party guests x food costs with what it might feed in a struggling community? At least it gives an idea of the different purchasing power!

11. This is a lovely idea!

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Planning a party has loads of multiplication and division in it - party bags, party food, sweeties, balloons - and I bet you Y5s would LOVE to play shops! (especially if it involves sweeties and parties!)

13. Or an Enterprise project? Not purely multiplication but so practical and engaging for them. Again, did this with TP Y5; they got a fiver (or was it a tenner?) per team had to buy all the materials (including using printer etc) from school, make a product and sell it to parents at Xmas productions x

14. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You can also do ratio-type things with plates of biscuits...yum yum

15. What exactly is the LO?

16. Thanks everyone. I am going to go along the line of money and shopping.

My LO will be based around this - use written methods for short multiplication and division by a single-digit integer of two-digit then three-digit then four-digit integers, then of numbers with decimals; then use long multiplication, at first for two-digit by two-digit integer calculations, then for three-digit by two-digit calculations; (taken from NC)

17. I think we teachers are pretty bloody spesh for making any fun out of such tedium! [​IMG]

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

In one lesson????

19. Oh gosh no - not in one lesson. I was asked about the LO and said it was going to be based on the above, I meant I would take the LO from it. I am doing multiplication and division (calculations) over a 2 week period. Possibly longer if it is needed.

20. I think it is one thing to teach with understanding multiplication and division, and another to apply multiplication and division in solving other problems. I don't think two weeks is a very long time, not sure of the age group, but I think this is (Y5?).
    For one the practical might be a concrete way of making the operations understandable and memorable, the latter a situation more to use the maths learnt in different contexts. There once was a time when Diennes or other similar place value apparatus was universally employed prior to paper calculation, and that would be an example of practical activity.