1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you make a display interactive?

Discussion in 'Music' started by musicheart, Dec 27, 2010.

1. musicheart

musicheart New commenter

Hi all
    Here's a question about displays - in a secondary school.
    I have been very proud of the displays in my classroom and often have had very positive feedback from other teachers and parents.
    However, our school's lesson observation forms have changed (!) and now the section on displays reads:
    "Displays are interactive and developmental, in that students are required to respond and react to them" (outstanding level).
    Consequently, my displays no longer reach the outstanding level! I'm quite unsure as to how to make my displays 'interactive' and 'developmental'. This bothers me, so I wondered if anyone out there could help...
    Any ideas?

2. v12

v12

Erm...,
    Have a blue-tacked marker pen attached to the wall next to the display and invite additions?

3. Hi
    We had LEA advisors come in to our Primary school recently and we have subsequently had a lot of advice about 'working walls' which I believe would be relevent. Within the classroom the aim is to make displays reflect ongoing learning as opposed to beautifully presented displays of childrens work.
    Ive spent the last three months looking at the walls in other schools and of our newly qualified teachers (who seem to be in the know on this). What I now have are
    a) Questions relevent to ongoing thinking e.g. How are we going to ensure we have a successful year 4 performance? The children then provide the ideas through postits, lists etc that are then referred to and amended as the weeks progress.
    b) Similar with language - Q how do we describe musical effect? - using a mix of suggested language including technicial terms but most importantly suggestions for the children.
    c) Similar with other units e.g. a list of success criteria suggested by the children at the start of a composition project which are then used as a stimulus to future lessons. I did this last year with an African Drumming project and the kids were able to refer to given ideas and then added their own as the week progresses.
    Weve been advised to put examples of completed work in the form of photos, scores, lyrics etc on displays in corridors.
    Its been interesting because the view of displays is so contrary to what we have been told to do for the last ten years.I and many colleagues still find it difficult to understand how something that can be regarded in one light for such a long time is no longer accpetable. Hey ho!