1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you like your meat cooked?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 11, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Blue rare, rare, etc. Personally steak and roast beef and lamb, chops as well, has to be rare, as do duck breasts. Anything else well done, especially bacon, that has to be crispy!

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Steak- medium rare. Lamb/ duck- pinkish but not red. Bacon- crispy!

3. Steak, roasts, lamb chops and all - medium. But bacon has to be crispy.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I eat less meat than I used to. (Actually that's not quite true, I used to be veggie a few years ago and then started eating meat again, but you know what I mean!)....but when I eat it it has to be rare. I like my beef to still moo when I stick my fork in it! (Sorry to all veggies!), I like lamb and duck pink too.....Bacon and sausages have to be well cooked. (Most of my sausies thes days are quorn)
    And whatever meat I eat has to be compassionately farmed. I'd rather eat no meat than cruelly reared meat. My faith tells me that God gave us animals to use ( and that includes eating them) but not to abuse.

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I eat beef much rarer now than I used to. I cannot, however eat very rare lamb ( no blood oozing out ) but I eat duck fairly rare. Pork is so that it's just cooked, still moist but no more. I certainly wouldn't want "pink" poultry ( I cringe when I hear a so-called chef talking about chicken being " nice and pink " )
    Paradox : I could never bring myself to eat a steak tartare as served here, but I do like carpaccio and sushi......
    Agree that bacon and sausages should be thoroughly cooked, I cook fat sausages in the oven to be sure they're well cooked.

6. I hardly eat much meat but when I do:
    NEVER raw - no carpaccio or steak tartare for me, nor sushi!
    Medium (slightly pink but purleeeeeeeeease no blood, I'd rather have it well done).
    Sausages, mince, bacon and pork and chicken - thoroughly well cooked.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I used to eat beef and lamb virtually raw, or 'blue' at least, but nowadays prefer both medium-rare.
    I can't get excited about beef carpaccio, as given that it's usually fillet, it's fairly tasteless - unless it's made with the very best fillet, but it then costs a fortune. I'd rather spend my money on a tastier cut.
    Steak tartare is food of the gods and I love it.
    I also actually like pork a little on the pink side, and definitely rather that than risk it overcooked and dry. With animal husbandry being what it is these days, there is very little risk of becoming ill from eating slightly pink pork that's been reared in this country nowadays.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

9. It is not that I am afraid of becoming ill - I just dooooooooooooooon't like the taste of wobbly meat and I cannot stand it if blood oozes out of it.
    But as I said, I am not a great meat eater anyway, so I am a bit of a heathen in that respect [​IMG]

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm drooling at the thought of a nice tartare on a slice of black bread mmmmmmmmmm

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Me too, nick. My local butcher says a lot of people won't buy pork because they think it's dry and tough- it's just that they incinerate it because they are afraid of poisoning themselves. We eat quite a lot of pork since, as MM says, it's cheap and versatile. I also casserole pork quite often, sometimes with black eyed beans, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and a shedload of smoked paprika and a wee bit of chilli. Great with brown basmati.
    How was your rocketty risotto last night?

12. I tend to "casserole" most of my meat.
    I am not really a "steak" person.
    Going to a Greek restaurant is often very difficult for me...meat, meat, meat, meat and CQ is left with a saganaki!

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Well, to complicate matters, the rocket I thought was in the fridge had already been appropriated by my wife to subtantiate the lunch I'd lovingly made her!
    I decided in the end to add the requisite freshness (to what, lets face it, can easily become a monotonous meal if too stodgy) by squeezing lemon over the frying mushrooms, and then adding the garlicky, mushroomy, tangy liquid to the finished risotto along with the mushrooms. It was really good, actually, and something I'll remember to do again, should I find myself making risotto with no parsley/rocket/anything else suitable again!

14. Shucks, tis a pity you are married, nick.
    You sound like a right catch! [​IMG]

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

I like all my meat on the undercooked side: steak is red in th emiddle, lamb is rosy and pork is palest pink.
    The trouble is my M-in-L isn't a good cook, so o/h grew up eating (and theerfore liking) meat which, to my taste, is overcooked! Fish too!

16. Now, fish I do not like too dry (and it can happen quickly). It needs to be firm but still "glassy" in the middle.
    I hate it when I get a salmon steak served and there are those white dots (that is the protein, innit?) in the middle.

17. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I like my beef and duck rare - I also like my pork slightly on the pink side. However, I like my lamb well-cooked. I have had it cooked rare and its not that I have a problem with it, but being half-Greek and having it cooked through my childhood, it really comforts me to have it well-cooked.

18. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Haha! Why, thanks you...[​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Pork was always well cookeD To kill the cysts of worms that were in the meat and could infect humans.
    There is little/no worm infestation now dueb to improved husbandry so it is ok to eat pink pork.