1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you like your eggs done?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jun 7, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I have a confession to make, My fried eggs are unreliable, but I've been working on it, and this evening, appear to have found a work around.
    Essentially, for me, a fried egg has to have a runny yolk and a little flavour fried into the yolk. Obviously, the last thing to cook. I can't tell you how many yolks I've broken cracking the eggs on the side of the pan, and as the fried egg isn't something I cook more than half a dozen times per year, if that, I invariably get the temperature of the pan wrong.
    But I've cracked it, I think.
    Firstly, I break the eggs into a mug, which seems to give a cleaner break to the shell, and if it goes wrong, have scrambled eggs instead.
    Next, I heat the pan on a moderate heat and when the oil runs freely, I drop the eggs in. Assoon as the white has set, I take it off the heat and let it sizzle for a moment or two, then flip the white over the eggs and serve. The hot white finishes cooking the yolk nicely. Not as attractive as sunny side up, but in terms of the criteria I set out with, a good result.
    However, I'm always eager to learn better methods, and I have to say that in my many years of eating fried breakfasts on the road, it's rare that I been served one by an incompetent cook.
    So how do you go about your eggs?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I like eggs fried quickly so that the edges of the egg go crispy and 'frill' up.
    The frying medium is important. Ordinary veg oil works but is tasteless. Butter is delicious but it can burn, and as I like mine crispy, this can happen. You can start off in oil then finish in buttter to remedy this but it's a lot of effort if it's an everyday meal or breakfast. Lard works well and is delicious, but best of all is good olive oil.
    The fresher the egg, the less likely it is for the yolk to break. I usually can't be ***** to break them into a cup first.
    The worst crime of all is a snotty egg. I don't flip mine as there's a tendency to break the yolks, but spooning the hot fat over as it cooks is the way round this.
    This is how I do it:
    - Heat a fair bit of oil in a small pan (eggs should be fried in quantities not more than two at a time - ideally one) until nearly smoking.
    - Crack an egg in (large, free-range or organic). Keep the heat up. Once the white starts to set, season the whole egg with black pepper and the white only with Maldon sea salt (salt makes the yolk go hard).
    - Tilt the pan and spoon the fat over the yolk continously until it clouds over. Once this happens and the edges frill up, it's done.
    - Remove from the pan immediately and place on a warm plate.
    This results in perfect eggs, every time, I find.

3. Wait until I'm back home with my parents so my dad can do them. Or wait until I'm at my aunt and uncles for Christmas and have them for breakfast there. I have never mastered fried eggs but my dad gets it spot on. He uses lard and always has a little glass bowl of lard on the go (perfect amount of lard for eggs, reused 2 or 3 times then thrown).
    If I'm doing them myself I usually have scrambled (splash of milk, good amount of pepper but no salt), or soft boiled with soldiers. I may be 22, but eggs and sldiers cannot be beaten!

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I hate fried eggs but my mum used to put a plate over the frying pan. This caused the egg to cook on top without flipping it and heated the plate at the same time.
    Husband fries eggs. If the yolk breaks he throws the egg away. Somebody else would happily eat it but he still throws it. I've seen five or six broken eggs in the bin on more than one occasion. It drives me nuts!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love fried eggs, but don;t eat them all that often.
    When I do, my all-time favourite has to be eggs fried in bacon fat! And always go for a runny yolk.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I hate runny eggs, fried eggs have to have the yolk broken and turned over so the yolk is well cooked. Another thing I loathe is when you get scrambled eggs with white bits where the egg hasn't been mixed properly.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love dipping hot buttered toast into a runny egg yolk...mmmm...I do mine pretty much the same as Nick.
    Yes, I hate this too, and with omelettes.

8. I like my eggs fried ( soft yolk, crispy white)
    boiled ( runny yolk)
    scrambled (soft not solid - yuk)
    poached on hot buttered toast (soft yolks)
    hardboiled in brown bread sandwiches with sliced tomatoes
    omelettes, slightly 'baveuse', with a cheese filling - or ham or mushrooms.....
    made into a frittata
    folded through pasta
    on a muffin with hollandaise sauce
    in a souffle
    in cakes....

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Same as nick, but I don't use olive oil. IMO it's a waste to use it to fry an egg, and I'm happy to taste the egg, not the oil, so vegetable (rapeseed) oil is fine.
    I break the egg into hot oil, then turn the heat down and when the white is cooked I baste the yolk with hot oil which cooks it (and any 'snotty bits of white around it) yet keeps it soft and runny.
    Yummy delish!

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

whilst I do eat hard boiled eggs in Niçoise/curry/sandwiches etc I do not eat fully-cooked egg yolk at other times:
    • boiled eggs are very dippy
    • poached eggs ooze yellow gold onto my toast
    • scrambled eggs are soft and velvety
    • I don't eat fried eggs very often, but they would have to be runny
    • I don't eat omelettes - they are too cooked on the outside, even if the inside is soft!
    Unfortunately, G likes his eggs rock hard, but the children like them runny.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I like my eggs poached in my poach pods. Yolks definitely have to be runny. I have found by trial and error:
    • Always grease the pod with butter not oil
    • Medium eggs need 2 and a half minutes before the toast goes in the toaster
    • Large eggs need 3 minutes plus the time for the toast
    I have recently discovered that it is much easier to fry duck eggs than hens' eggs. They hold together so much better.

12. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

I love poached eggs and have a poacher but rarely use it. Generally just put some water in a pan, heat to a rolling boil, whack the egg in, take the pan to rolling again. remove from heat, rest for a minute or so then remove. Perfect in terms of taste, less so from an appearance perspective.

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A friend (I use the term loosely) at university used to use the title of this thread as a fairly poor chat-up line when out on the pull:
    "So, how do you like your eggs in the morning?"
    The best come-back I ever heard was:
    "Unfertilised, you ********".

14. This reminds me of a German joke:
    How do you like your eggs in the morning?
    Stroked and caressed, how else?
    (you need to know that we call b.alls...eggs!)