1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you know when to apply for HOD?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by markxtc123, Jun 28, 2011.

1. When you know the difference between "being" and "been" perhaps?

2. Thanks for your input

3. Sound more than ready to me. ICT might be a shaky position in the near future, but a HoD is less likely to be let go off than mere cannon fodder. Go for it, and make sure you have an idea for leadership, vision and how you plan to cope with the coming challenges.

4. OK, serious answer.
    Truthfully, everyone is different and people seek promotion for different reasons. Some start applying pretty much as soon as a position comes up. They may or may not get the first HOD position they apply for but they keep at until they get one.
    Others, like yourself by the sound of it, are more thoughful, don't apply as soon as a position comes up but wait until they think they are ready.
    The thing is, I don't think anyone is ever really in a position to say that about themself. Others, like your current HOD, may suggest you are ready, but, until you actual take on the responsibility yourself how can you KNOW you are ready?
    With that in mind I would suggest that if you see a HOD position come up apply for it, give it your best shot and, if you get the job, then at least those on the interview panel think you're ready.
    Then, I guess, you'll find out yourself.

5. Thanks for your answers guys.
    Will probably start looking next year although will make sure that I investigate any potential school properly. Hopefully I may get somewhere, although it will be a wrench to left my present school if successfull.

6. Didn't see you mention it but have you ever been involved in an "acting up" role? (ie. covering for your existing HoD while they were absent for any period of time)? And if so did you enjoy it when you did? Although not definitive, this should also give you a good indicator of how you would feel if it was you in the position.

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

There is never a right time, it's just when you want to go for the opportunity. About seven years ago I went for an HoD position and was up against an NQT. The truth of the matter was that he was better than me (teaching 8 years and running www.ictgcse.com at the time), I pulled out to save the "embaressment" of losing the chance of taking the post. We have no idea of your skillset, nor your personality so we simply can't comment on whether or not *you* are ready, only you know that.

8. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I'd echo the above. You've certainly got the experiences necessary (from what you've said anyway). You've not mentioned A level teaching, do you have experience of that?
    Consider how you'd manage the members of the department, how you'd impact on Teaching and Learning. Where you'd want to take the department in the short & long terms.

9. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Make a list of all of the responsibilities that a HoD would be expected to carry out and then tick off the ones that you've actually done. Now put a cross by the ones that you've assisted with in some way.
    If you list shows a good mix of ticks and crosses, with very few gaps, then i'd suggest that it would be sensible to apply for HoD positions. It's as simple as that.
    I applied for my first HoD position in my 3rd year of teaching at a school that I'd been on PGCE placement at. I didn't get it but the interview did make me realise that I hadn't actually *done* a lot of the things required for the role - using the ticks and crosses above, I had lots of crosses but very few ticks - I'd watched the existing HoD do things, helped him out, etc, but not taken responsibility for much myself.
    I put that right over the next few months and then sucessfully applied in my 4th year of teaching. Easy :)