1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how do you know if you have passed PM?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by taji, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I am a bit confused about performance management. I had my review meeting today and my head said I had achieved my targets but he also gave some areas for development. Same as last year's PM which she said I had failed. At the end of the meeting I asked him to clarify if I had passed or failed my PM. All he would say was that I had achieved my targets. Am I mistaken to think it is either a pass or fail? I want to apply to go through threshold at some point but there seems little point if I have failed.

2. I am a bit confused about performance management. I had my review meeting today and my head said I had achieved my targets but he also gave some areas for development. Same as last year's PM which she said I had failed. At the end of the meeting I asked him to clarify if I had passed or failed my PM. All he would say was that I had achieved my targets. Am I mistaken to think it is either a pass or fail? I want to apply to go through threshold at some point but there seems little point if I have failed.

3. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

I think that if you have achieved the targets then your PM was successful. The areas for development might be targets for your next PM?

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

When you get your review statement you could take it back to your head and ask for a proper judgement to be put on it, if the head prevaricates, ask him why, if he does not provide you with a definitive statement ask him again. Don't be afraid to be a pest, your head needs to know you can't be fobbed off, ignored for another year and then denied threshold - you can bet that is what's coming.

5. Thanks for your replies. I did ask the head several times and he just repeated the same phrase every time. My teaching was graded outstanding this year, but I will be on M6 for the third year running now.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

You are being shafted I think. I hope you have copies of those outstanding lesson observations. Pass your head a simple letter of application to be considered to progress through the threshold with effect from September 1st 2011, do it before the end of term. At the same time ask the head to provide you with a copy of the school's pay policy and pay appeals procedure - it is a legal requirement for the school to have both of these and to make them available to you on request, if asked why, simply repeat the request, you don't have to give a reason.
    Contact your union immediately for support in pursuing this matter if your head is anything but enthusiastic about your prospect of being progressed, in which case you could wait for the decision and then appeal with the help of your union.