1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you keep the weight off?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Piscean1, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I have gained weight since starting teaching to the point that the NHS BMI calculator informs me that I am overweight and my mother in law has informed me that I'm "looking well", which we all know is code for: "You've piled it on!"

With so many pressures on your time, what do others do to keep themselves at a healthy weight? How do you manage to stick to a healthy diet or squeeze exercise in?

sebedina likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If I'm honest the answer to that has to be, "I didn't".
    It's really hard to ensure one has time to prepare healthy food options and time to exercise.

needabreak and Piscean1 like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Exercise class on the way home, otherwise it doesn't happen.
    Not taking part in the cake fest in the staffroom...I'm an all or nothing person, so nothing is the better option.
    Alcohol only on weekend evenings...or after particularly stressful days, or ummmm yes well this one is my downfall!

4. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Just work in a school where you don't get time to eat. ;)

5. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Depends, I used to be overweight as a teen and now it’s always a bit priority to keep on top of it. My weight rarely budges now. I know how much and what I can eat. Literally eat your greens and protein. The more veg you eat the better. Cut out sugar and too much processed, pre packed foods. There is so much nice healthy stuff out there these days. Excercise is great bit remember that nutrition is 80% of the hard work. It would be a bonus to work out but your diet will help you lose plenty of weight. xx

6. shd132

shd132 New commenter

In an ideal world, high intensity interval training for twenty minutes, three times a week and a low sugar diet.

I don't have a gym membership. I found it worked better for me to use YouTube for exercise videos. The only equipment I have bought is an exercise mat and a set of metal dumbbells.

In any event, I lost pounds by cutting down on sugar. Felt much better, too. Younger, oddly.

sebedina likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I am just naturally lithe and never have to worry about gaining weight I will always be skinny... ha and if you believe that you believe anything, it's jolly hard work because if you can't work off any excess calories you just can't eat it... or drink it... pours another glass of red, cheers!

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’m watching (on catch up) a programme looking at a post mortem on an obese person, with explanation of the effects.

I don’t think I’ll ever eat again.

9. andersonkevin19

andersonkevin19 New commenter

Nowadays, people are more prone to use the junk and unhealthy foods and their poor desk bound lifestyle can lead to stored excess amount of fat in the body. Weight loss is really a tough job and time consuming process. Unquestionably, diet and exercise are two main pillar in weight loss strategies.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. andersonkevin19

11. Piscean1

I have started at the gym this week. Hard work but I'm pushing myself. I'm not wildly overweight but really do need to get my fitness sorted and lose the few extra pounds I'm carrying.

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I find the healthy diet pretty easy to stick to - it really has become 'a way of life'. Unfortunately, I just eat too much of it - even the healthiest food has calories, and too many will make you put on weight. Portion control is my downfall. I'm not a gym person any more - a bad back and increasing arthritis make it very difficult. I do enjoy an aqua-aerobics class, but they're all in the daytime where I live, so that's something for the future (retirement). So I walk. A lot. I wear a step counter try to make sure I do 10,000 steps every day - even if it means going out for a walk in the evening.
    It's not enough because I still constantly battle the weight gain, but it's better than nothing!

frangipani123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. andersonkevin19

14. andersonkevin19

The consumption of healthy diet and doing regular exercise are two key factors in weight loss. Obviously, we all know very well that there are no magic remedies to cut the extra pounds of fat within a minute.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I went sugar free for lent and have kept going. The weight is falling off - easy when you have a lot to lose! I'm not a saint with it as I have the occasional glass of wine/piece of chocolate/pudding (rare). I'm also seeing the benefits through more energy. My daughter is doing it too so we are able to support/remind each other when necessary. I have to say, it hasn't felt like hard work at all. I would highly recommend it.

16. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

For me it is exercise and much better eating patterns. Mainly to do with portion control and letting myself have one meal (Saturday Evening) where I relax the rules. I also use an App to record everything I eat so that there are no surprises.

17. Piscean1

I have started recording my eating and exercise. Very interesting. I've lost 4 pounds so far.

needabreak and BigHeaded like this.
  18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

No snacks. No second helpings. Make double what you intend to eat and shove half in the freezer before the picking instinct kicks in.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. BigHeaded

BigHeaded New commenter

Try meal replacement bars, like Quest bars. Highest protein lowest carb and calories I could find in a bar. Take a bite when you are feeling hungry chase it with a cup of water. They don't really taste that great so you won't scarf it down and be hungry again.

frangipani123 and needabreak like this.
  20. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Get a Fitbit and walk 4 miles a day.

needabreak likes this.