1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you keep a 9 month puppy amused . . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by notmeanymore, Aug 12, 2011.

1. when he's not allowed out other than to go to the toilet?
    He chews rawhide bones etc, but there's only so long he can do this before getting fed up. He's not allowed to play any 'tug-o-war' games incase he makes the leg injury worse! He is hopping around on 3 legs and is fine in the house, but getting bored and extremely naughty with it.
    Any thoughts appreciated as he's doing my head in and we've got another 8 days to go!!

2. when he's not allowed out other than to go to the toilet?
    He chews rawhide bones etc, but there's only so long he can do this before getting fed up. He's not allowed to play any 'tug-o-war' games incase he makes the leg injury worse! He is hopping around on 3 legs and is fine in the house, but getting bored and extremely naughty with it.
    Any thoughts appreciated as he's doing my head in and we've got another 8 days to go!!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

4. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

You have my sympathy!! Poor you and poor little puppy.
    Daughter's Cairn had a leg injury (the ligament that should have sat in a groove in his front shoulder blade moved and kept coming out of the groove causing him to limp - no doubt in pain. He was grudgingly allowed two ten minute walks a day on a lead and that included as much sniffing time as possible so, with sniffing time, he only ever got to the end of our road (past four houses) and back. Luckily he was three at the time so he adapted to enforced the inactivity which went on for the whole of last summer and only ended in November /December :-(
    I think it was worse for us - I looked after him for most of that time (daughter was at work all day) I found it very hard because I felt so sorry for him. Daughter was much more down to earth than me and much more strict with him and actually she was right.
    In the end, just as he'd completed almost seven months of the regime he followed me to the door, spotted a cat and was off across the road before I could stop him. Luckily he was due to see the vet that day and she gave him a injection into the ligament (up to that point he'd been on tablets to reduce inflammation). He never looked back. The alternative (which was on the cards) was a very expensive (£1,000 plus) operation to realign his ligament. Thankfully he recovered without the op and has been fine since.
    What's the vet said about your puppy's injury and time to heal?

I hope your little pooch recovers soon :)

5. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Tried to edit the last question out as soon as I'd posted and realised you'd said eight days to go - but it wouldn't let me. Not so long. Just be strict as daughter was, it is after all good training. I was too soft most of the time!

6. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Get a kong from pets at home or wherever, just don't waste your money on expensive Kong paste. Fill it with anything you want, low fat things like chicken or I buy a very low fat supermarket own cream cheese and use that. My dogs love raw carrots so I usually add a bit of hard cheese or left over meat and then some big chunks of carrot to make it more fun trying to get it out. These things are fab and will keep most dogs amused for a good while.
    http://www.kongcompany.com/products/dogs/kong-rubber-toys/classic/kong-classic

I must say that most kong toys have been puppy proof and lasted ages and ages so well worth spending a little more on. I usually buy mine on ebay as they are cheaper.

7. I had a Kong completely split in two when my dog chomped on it once a few months back - must have been a dodgy one since the other one he's got is nigh on indestructible - complained and got a package addressed to the dog full of freebies (including the paste which is handy if you're being lazy). I do find some dogs need an almost induction course in how to use a Kong and will just wander off if you give them a fully jammed one to start with - so have to start with just a smear of pate or cream cheese or peanut butter or something around the inside for them to lick out and gradually make it harder and harder... Jawsomatic Chompsworthy though - straight in there stuffing his face.
    They do a wobbler toy as well which is fantastic if you feed kibble - stick it in there and it's like those weeble toys from the 80s and he has to bat it to get the food out.One of mine's a stuffed toy thrower then cuddler, the other likes things like the dumbells you can ram treats into and chuck around and the biscuits in the end shatter and little bits pop out at random.

8. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Ahh now I want one of these, looks fab. We have a kong squeeky toy which has lasted for over a year (most last 5 minutes). I do like the kong brand.

9. You have my sympathy!
    My 9month old vizsla was castrated on Thursday and is on 'light duties' for 10 days. Day 2 and he's driving me mental!
    Training games keep him occupied for so long, as does his Kong, but I'm getting the barking of 'I want to go out. Take me out. Why aren't you taking me out?' about every 20 minutes!
    So far he has destroyed 3 toys. Not sure if they had come to the end of their life anyway, or whether he is being more aggressive with them because he's bored.
    He's having a nap on my knee at the minute. I'm bracing myself for the wake up barking!