1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you have the time to apply for NQT jobs?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by K8Jonesy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. I am currently on my NQT year, and started applying for jobs in December! However i didn't actually get a job until the last week of the summer term - 14 job applications and 7 interviews later... Get applying as soon as you can!

2. Oh brilliant! Well done on your NQT position! your persistence really paid off. Its just so daunting - where are the best places to look for NQT jobs? other than the TES job board of course ;p

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Local Council Websites, Eteach/FEjobs, Guardian Jobs. Good luck x

4. Great - thanks for that :) Happy Friday! Have a good weekend!

5. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

Hi Champsy,

Once you have done one application you can pretty much copy/paste the others. You will need to personalise your statement / letter of application but the first paragraph (why you want that particular school) should suffice. The rest can be generic.
    Don't worry about experience, you will have enough from your first placement to write something and everyone else doing the pgce will be in the same boat.

Speaking to a couple of HODs, while a personalised statement is better, A strong candidate is still a strong candidate. I suggest you start in December / January of your PGCE year. Having a job lined up will make the rest of your PGCE that more enjoyable

Hope this helps

6. They get quicker the more of them you do - although I greatly wish they would have a generic application form for all schools, so that the basic information doesn't have to be filled in time after time after time...

You have two choices really. Either use more generic personal statements to apply for every job left right and centre and play the law of averages, or take some time tailoring each statement to the school in question. Expectations for job roles can be different from school to school, particularly if they expect you to teach a second subject, or a particular age group.

I'd suggest going for it as soon as. I had my first interview in March after just starting my second placement, and even though I didn't get the job, the interview experience was invaluable

7. I spent time in the Christmas holidays doing my CV, a general personal statement etc. I applied for the LEA pool, registered with the TES jobs alerts and applied for my first job in February. Lots of other people on my course were not even looking at this point, so possibly the competition wasn't as fierce. I got a job in February, so it paid off being organised. It is definitely worth getting your CV and a general personal statement done early on so you can be ready for those applications and adapt it as necessary. I would recommend spending a bit of time over the Christmas holidays getting yourself ready.

8. Thanks everyone for your input :) Much appreciated! I guess it's really daunting and as I am currently working in an education recruitment agency - I am seeing lots of NQTs still looking for their NQT placements - 2-3 years on, I really don't want to be wedging time in between PGCE and NQT placement with supply. I will heed on advice given and utilise this freer time i have now until the start of the course to get my prep work done. Thanks! ORGANISATION is KEY ;D

9. Ha, as a current PGCE student I ask myself this almost daily! I started applying for pools in January, and I'm now starting to apply for individual jobs. I have my first interview tomorrow!

I've found it very helpful having a word document with all of my information in. It makes it much easier being able to just copy and paste it in to the right box.

10. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

'NQT' is not a placement. It is a fully contracted position of employment.