1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you go back? I'm terrified!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by JustTired, Dec 30, 2015.

1. JustTired

JustTired New commenter

I have been signed off since October with WRS following a meltdown at work. I have been put on medication and have a really supportive doctor. I have read so many posts on here from people who have been through the same and so I am hoping somebody may be able to answer my question: how do you go back? I'm signed off until 12th January and may even be off longer, but I know I have to go back at some point. But the thought of facing everyone terrifies me. What will I tell the students? Our students are not backwards in coming forwards when they want to ask questions. And how will I pick up my classes? The targets set for our students are very high and I have no chance of reaching my targets if I haven't been there. In my exam review meeting in September the Head told me there was no place in his school for teachers who couldn't achieve their targets. I had 91% A*-C (20 students) in my PRP class and because I only had 27% on target I was told I had the students down. Some had A instead of A*, and some even told me that they had skipped some RE revision as the pressure on them for Maths and English etc was so high. But I'm pretty sure my feelings of incompetence started then. But I digress; the question is I have to go back, ( financially there are no other options) and I am terrified. The head phoned me in the last week of term and mentioned a phased return but I have no idea what that is or how it works. I'm getting in a right state at the thought and even having nightmares. Please help!

2. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I don't have answers for most of these questions, Gerri19, but I lived through something similar about 7 years ago, without the added stress of stratospheric targets.

Health and Wellbeing doesn't get much traffice these days. If you don't receive many replies on this forum, I would suggest Workplace Dilemmas or Personal. Best of luck to you. Keep taking your meds and reaching out for help.

Gerri19 likes this.
  3. vomitingvera

vomitingvera New commenter

Hold your head high, being off with WRS is ok. I was off for 10 months in total and have made a very successful return, I've been back for two terms now and I'm absolutely fine - still on meds but mine is a very complex story! A phased return will really help; it builds up your hours gradually to your normal working pattern. Why don't you try popping into school for a coffee..., things like that might help. Your head sounds supportive so that's a huge bonus. Feel free to pm me if you think that might help. Good luck

4. JustTired

JustTired New commenter

Thank you, I might copy it into the other forum and see. Thanks! Hope all is better for you now.

5. JustTired

JustTired New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply. I might pm you if that's ok, but at a more sociable time than NYE! Many thanks.

6. SBob

SBob New commenter

I am in a similar position. Off since October and expectations from HR to be back at the end of January. And I thought that would be okay until I was in the Welfare Meeting having this idea thrust at me and feeling blocked into a corner. Then it was very much not okay and I wanted to run and hide pretty much forever.
    Stuff I have done or had help with or am working up to:
    1. Get your doctor to refer you for some counselling.
    2. Get him/her to sign you off for a good chunk of time: 4 weeks plus.
    3. Get talking to your union rep and take them with you to all meetings.
    4. Get school to organise you a meeting with Occupational Health and ask them for counselling referrals too.
    5. Go out for wanders.
    6. Occasionally pop into school/the car park/have coffee with the colleagues you like.
    7. Make a list of what triggered everything to go into a big bag of sh**e.

Some of these were easier than others (it took me 4 weeks to make a phone call regarding counselling). Some I am still working up to.

Other than that, stick with the basics: eating, sleeping and talking to people.

Hug you tight.