1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you go about teaching in France?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jane102, Apr 17, 2008.

1. You're right that your husband would be in a better position to get a job than yourself. Jobs teaching French and French as a foreign language would obviously go to native speakers. Have you thought about doing a TEFL course and teaching in a language school? Or some job you could do from home, such as an internet business? It would be very useful if your husband could speak French as he may have to speak to colleagues and parents in French. It is likely your children would get free/reduced fee education at your husband's school. France has a terrific quality of life and discipline in schools is much better. I wish you the best of luck. If you need any more advice, my e-mail address is jane102janeatyahoodotcodotuk.

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Check out previous poster's comments on other forums, she doesn't have QTS and won't say how she got her fabulous job!

Sorry, jane102 but you've ignored requests for info before and I hardly think living in France for less than one year qualifies you to give advice to a professional MFL teacher!

3. landaise

Rant over: now for some practicalities. Teaching in language schools is very badly paid, paid hourly and for part of the year you will have no income as lessons dry up. D&T/ICT is not in huge demand here: ICT is not taught as a separare subject like in the UK and technology is not viewed in the same way, no practicals for example.
    To teach in a state school, you need the CAPES, of course. International schools are not that rife, only in big cities, my nearest one is 2 hours away, for example.
    Having said that, your children are of the perfect age, one in Maternelle, one in CP, to start the basic apprentissages. Please put them in a French school, not an International one, they'll be so much better off.
    I admit I ranted at jane102 but she is far from the expert she makes herself out to be. Do a search on 'all forums', you'll see!
    Bon courage!

4. Laidaise, you seem to be a very bitter person. I didn't claim to be an expert, I just offered some comments to the opening poster. You have previously cyberstalked me and seem to be annoyed because I have not replied to you - I certainly have no intention of doing so because of the disturbing way you have behaved. Searching my previous posts indicates you have way too much time on your hands. I don't have a 'fabulous' job and haven't claimed I do either. I do, however, teach in France, unlike you! You have previously stated that you can't work in France because you did a non-standard teacher training course and the French won't recognise it. I'm not sure what it is myself so I'm not surprised people in another country refuse to take it seriously. You have been told you have to do the CAPES but do not wish to. You are therefore unable to teach in France (but offer 'advice' anyway). Why on earth you waste your time being abusive to me instead of taking the necessary exams I have no idea. Its certainly not doing your mental health any good. Good luck with being a bored housewife...

BTW I got my job because I have studied at very well-respected universities, worked in France as part of my former career and am not a rabid cyberstalker foaming at the mouth - not the most desirable quality in a jobseeker and a dead giveaway as far as the old sanity is concerned ;)

5. Thanks Jane102 and landaise for replying to my post.

My husband's French is practically non-existant but he is willing to learn.

I did a TEFL subsid as part of my PGCE and taught intensive bac courses for OISE for summers 1992-2000. If I came to France I would expect to teach English, not French.

Do the French recognise the PCGE yet as an equivalent to the CAPES, because it's about time they did what with the European Community etc etc? I think the UK govt recognises the CAPES but stand to be corrected if anyone wants to say it doesn't.

More comments/advice as always gratefully received!

6. Any teacher in any State school in France must have a CAPES.
    Teachers in State schools are expected to teach in French - except maybe modern foreign languages.

The French system does not (and probably will not) accept teaching qualifications from the UK as an entry requirement for qualified teaching in the state education system, except for "vacataire" (replacement) teaching roles paid at very low rates (and for limited hours).

Currently French students and teachers are demonstrating because the government is cutting the number of teachers in the state system. This means that there are large numbers of qualified French national teachers looking for employment.
    Can you really believe that you will be selected for any position when there are many qualified French Nationals looking for employment?

I agree with Landaise - if you settle in France, put your kids into the local school - after a month or two they will have friends and start speaking French.

It might be possible for you to find employment in international, fee paying schools - see www.cois.org

Private language school such as Inlingua etc pay very badly and have limited hours which tend to disappear completely during any holiday period.

I have seen literally hundreds of British couples move into France with laudable dreams, only to spend a couple of years griping and complaining about how "ünfair" the system is, before returning to the UK poorer, disillusioned and often divorced.

7. landaise

Yes, as wassuggested, the UK recognises the CAPES as a direct equivalent to aPGCE but there is no reciprocal agreement in France as in Spain, Italy and, I believe Germany. I would imagine that it's because there are no teacher shortages here, far from it, 11 000 posts will be cut next rentrée in state schools, ostensibly due to falling numbers on roll but that depends on the region.

I lived in France for 12 years post French BA then spent some time in the UK during which I obtained QTS via a GTP (10 years teaching in a language school in France meant I didn't want to go down the PGCE route, plus childcare costs made it impossible). As a parent, I presume you would want a regular income, so languge schools are a definite no-no. In theory private schools will take UK-qualified teachers but they tend to request a specific teaching diploma akin to the CAPES. Your biggest problem would be finding jobs for both of you within a small radius.

On the plus side, 'informaticiens' are said to be in big demand, could your husband work along those lines, get you settled then you try to find work within your local area. Trouble is, there's not much of an advantage in moving if you're going to end up in Paris or Lyon, not a pleasant life for your children!

BTW, jane102 I too have a degree from a red-brick university and two degrees, licence and maitrise, from French ones. I was merely interested, when I contacted you, in how someone had 'beaten the system' because it's not easy to do! All credit to you for doing so, lots of us, like OP are furious that supposed 'EU mobility of qualifications' is a shambles! I understand that you may not want to share just how you got your job for anonymity reasons but I prefer to work and would prefer to work in my chosen field. The day the EU gets its act together and enforces the mobility of qualifications, we'll all be happier!

8. I don't have a 'secret' that I am unwilling to 'share'. I applied for a job, had an interview and was offered the post. I would imagine that what differentiates me is that my first degree is from a world-renowned university rather than a red-brick one. Most of my expat colleagues have the same type of degree, or can offer a rare subject. I understand this type of selection isn't unusual for overseas schools.

9. Thanks again for answers to my post. Rogan, thanks for putting me in the picture as regards the teacher situation in France. The only reason I think I should be able to get work over a French national is that I am mother tongue English and have experience of teaching English in France from previously, and to the French in the UK. But I'm not blinkered enough to believe that I would be chosen over a French national. I have always thought it would be a difficult thing to do, to move and work in France, and this seems to be born out in the replies to my post. I suppose I was hoping that my idea of the situation was wrong and that it would be easier than I was imagining. Not so, unfortunately. I would be looking towards international schools/private ones as I know I wouldn't have a hope in a state one without the CAPES.

To "landaise", I wouldn't want to be in Paris or Lyon really. I was thinking more of being on the western side of France or I feel pulled back to Strasbourg where I was at the Uni.My husband is currently doing an OU diploma and is quite a dab hand with computers...that's the limit of my understanding of his competence in that area. He may be considered as an "informaticien" but his lack of French would limit his options.

As a last resort, I could brush up my translating skills. Having got my degree from Salford, which is a course that's heavily biased towards translation, that might be an way for me to earn a living. Just considering all options!

As I thought, this is one idea I think that I'll have to shelve. France for holidays only, unless we win the lottery!

10. I have been reading your thread with great interest. I think
    I have a good chance of a job in northern France starting in Sep. I have no
    idea about salary e.g. what is enough and what is too much for ask for. I am
    living/working in Norway at the moment and the cost of living compared to my
    wage has made it difficult to stay long term. I do not want to move to France
    only to find I cannot afford to stay there either! Any advice anyone could offer me would be
    greatly received. John

11. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

What a pity that England didn´t sign up for The Coal and Steel Community in the early 50s. Nor for Euratom then. Still less sign The Treaty of Rome; was it in 1956 ?

12. Re: teaching in France; I would love to work in the south e.g.Nice, but jobs never seem to come up there....

13. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Surely you´re not suggesting that the hexagon-shaped-5th-Republic is just "une costume immense de cowboy" still less that, despite a heavy dose of liberty, personhood and freedom going back over the centuries, "la règle de droit" is conspicuous by its absence there !

What might Jean Monnet have said about that ?

What does José-Manuel Borrosso say about that ?

14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

Oh, the irony of it!
    Quite.