1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you go about counting 60,000 bees?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...0000-bees-found-in-roof-of-cambridge-hospital
    "More than 60,000 bees have been found in the roof of a hospital building.

Staff at Fulbourn Hospital in Cambridge called in experts after noticing a large number of bees flying in and out of the Beechcroft building, which houses staff but is not open to patients.

They said "honey oozed" from the between gaps in the brick and plasterwork when a roof panel was removed on 10 September."

Is this enough to help you get off to sleep? It must be a real sod if you are interrupted and have to start all over again.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The number of workers found in a honey bee hive can be estimated using the following information:

About one-third of the worker bee in a hive forage every day. Based on average number of flights per day by a single bee and the amount of time spent foraging, the following formula can be used to calculate the number of bees in a hive:

N = 3 x (f/0.0138)
    N = number of bees in the hive
    f = number of bees seen leaving the nest in one minute
    If Duke of York observes 35 bees leaving a hive in one minute, how many bees are inside? Round off the answer to the nearest whole number.

Answer: 35/0.0138 = 2,536 bees foraging per day. This is about one-third of the hive, so 2,536 x 3 = 7,608 bees in the hive.

Note: The value 0.0138 is based on average amount of time spent foraging for an average honey bee colony on an average day. This value will actually change considerably with amount of food available, weather conditions, etc.

:rolleyes:

I thought everybody knew this!!

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

upload_2018-9-21_16-12-19.jpeg

nomad likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I should think if your did count then you would bee busy!

colpee likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Count their legs and divide by 6?

colpee and sbkrobson like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm sure it will someone a buzz.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Give someone a buzz I meant.

The other answer is.....one at a time.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One bee......two bee.....three bee......new bee.

colpee likes this.
  10. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-45597954

Police are investigating the theft of about 60,000 bees from a farm in Aberdeenshire.

Four hives were taken from the farm in Blackhills, near Peterhead, some time between Saturday and Tuesday.

Maybe bees just come in units of 60,000?

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well.

I think you've earned your stripes with that.

colpee and nomad like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Oh beehave you lot.

colpee, EmanuelShadrack and nomad like this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

... and stop droning on.

14. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

You know Nomad - you're a bloomin' genius. No wonder I failed the 11 plus. Luckily I don't think that was one of the questions we were supposed to answer. I bet you went to grammar school! I was wondering also how on earth anyone could count that number of bees. We had bees that got in through an air brick at the side of our house. They weren't actually hurting anyone, but they might have if children etc had been anywhere near the entrance. So I'm afraid, on the advice of local beekeepers, we had to block the holes up - and we did feel very guilty about it - but still.

nomad likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If I was a loss adjuster for the insurance company the bees were insured with, I'd likely be asking the owner to account for how many bees he saw fly out on the day the theft took place and how many bees he counted returning, as Max Hastings did during the Falklands war, with planes.

16. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I wondered if Nomad knew that or made it up, so tried to check. First reference began "I read this somewhere on the internet". Second reference - maths worksheet (and I would be reluctant to rely on that). Third reference (to my relief) cited their source as Arizona University, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Now my cynical and suspicious mind is willing to believe it has some basis in fact.

Very impressive, anyway, Nomad!

nomad likes this.
  17. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I think you missed a trick there.

I'll let you off though, for good beehive-iour.

lexus300 likes this.
  18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

True to some extent. Any loss adjuster worth his/her salt though would request individual photos of every missing bee, along with their full names and dates of birth, to be submitted within 3 working days of first making the claim (which would have to be submitted the next working day after obtaining a crime number from the police).

Failure to do so, for any reason whatsoever, would result in the claim being declared null and void.

Included in any possible letter stating "Regretfully we are unable to take any further action on your claim" would be some small print on how an automatic subscription has been helpfully set up on your account, for insuring your wasps and ants.

Duke of York likes this.
  19. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

You could use an abeecus

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

and in considerable pain.