1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get your weekend guests to leave on a sunday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 16 Heath, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Beforehand, do you
    a) make up some excuse as to why they need to leave by X time. E.g schoolwork?
    b) just shamelessly tell them they need to leave by X time at the point of invite?

I love having friends and family for the weekend, but as I age, I need all of sunday evening to myself more and more.

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Join a weird cult

3. I normally tell people in advance and play the school work excuse! Perks of teaching maybe?!?!

4. I do the pre-emptive thing and say I have to go somewhere at a given time etc. Its not so bad when its just one friend, but when my OH invites all his old school friends up for the weekend it drives me mad.
    They are nice people in themselves, and are all in their late twenties but socially act like they're still about 18 and want to pull allnighters when they come up (theyre from a small village and a few still live with parents, we live very close to Nottingham city centre so they love it).On occasion I have gone for a drink and then left alot earlier than them, asking them to be quiet when they come in because ill be sleeping - they never are because theyre totally sloshed by that point (OH being the worst usually!). I then worry that they'll break something/spill something/let the cats out/annoy the neighbours and I dont sleep anyway. Then the next day I am expected to help OH make bacon butties while they occupy my living room until their hangovers subside. Grrrrrr. He thinks I hate his friends but I honestly do like them - one at a time, and sober!

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Staple sponge fingers to the wall so that they spell out 'IN THE NAME OF SATAN GO HOME'

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Before they buy their tickets, agree to a time. Would you want someone in your house who didn't know that you needed time to prepare for the week ahead? People who are close enough to be overnight guests should also be cloe enough to be trusted with the truth. Don't be a martyr.

7. Yes, the truth is I used to be okay with it, but now I am moving the goalposts. Just don't seem to have the confidence to reverse the status quo. Do I just hold my breath and do it?

8. like a c of e church with an evening service

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would tell them at the point of invite. Weekends are short enough and I need a bit of time to recharge and get work done.

10. Tell them you are doing an early lunch so they will be able to get off whilst the roads are quiet

11. Tell them you are doing an early lunch so they will be able to get off whilst the roads are quiet

12. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

If you don't want them with you only on your terms at any rate, why invite them. Selfish to let them entertain you then discard them when you are bored, n'est ce pas?

13. That was totally uncalled for

14. I"m just totally straight with friends/family.. "would love to see you....but I WILL need some time alone on sunday evening to prepare for Monday morning...have an early start....is that ok?" I'm not pretentious enough to try talking in french to them.......[​IMG]

15. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Putting 'the kettle on for a cup of tea/coffee before you go' usually works.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Just start hoovering [​IMG]

17. I am liking these ideas about an early lunch/kettle on and simply asking if it's ok with them to leave by a certain at time at the point of invite. Thanks.
    Sometimes it can be hard to know how to word things when you have always had an unofficial open house policy. I appreciate your suggestions.

18. Weekend guests leaving anyone?

19. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Invite the Jehovah's Witnesses around for Sunday tea