1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get supply work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by George1164, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I was made redundant in July 2010. I have applied for so many jobs but being over 50 and on UP3 does not help. I have signed up with one agency after another, all of whom seemed enthusiast but then nothing happened. I know supply is dwindling but surely I should have got someting. I teach science and I can get to Central London. Any ideas as to why, and what I can do to increase my chances?

2. I was made redundant in July 2010. I have applied for so many jobs but being over 50 and on UP3 does not help. I have signed up with one agency after another, all of whom seemed enthusiast but then nothing happened. I know supply is dwindling but surely I should have got someting. I teach science and I can get to Central London. Any ideas as to why, and what I can do to increase my chances?

3. Hi, do you ring your agency each morning to say you are available that day for work and ring in the afternoons to see if there is anything for the next day? I did that when I was doing day to day, luckily I'm on a long term at the moment. Hope it picks up.

4. I ended up registered with nine agencies. Each one I joined, for a few weeks anyway, I did as you said, and phoned in the morning and the late afternoon, but I just got told that 'it was a quiet time', or something like that. I did get some very late calls, but these were alwasy impossible journeys in the time available. Sometimes, I would be on my way when the booking was cancelled.
    What I have found very annoying as that when I have got to schools, as a TA, I bump into supply teachers in my subject saying that agencies have been finding them lots of work.

5. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I let my agency know that I am available that week and they phone me with work, some agencies like teachers to phone up, but I only phone up to see what work is like. So it depends on the agency, most will check at the end of the week what days you are on available the following week and then it is a matter of waiting and waiting.

6. I never phone my agency and they never phone me to ask when I'm available. They phone to offer me a job and I say yes or no. If I know in advance I'm not going to be available I drop them an email to let them know.

7. Thank you your replys everyone, but I still wonder how I can get an agecny to take any notice of me. At roughly six week intervals, I would join an agency, which had no problem inn registering me, followed by nothing. As I said, I would phone in the morning and in the afternoon for work, also keeping them abreast of my availability, but I was always fobbed off. Very occasionally, I would be called at 8:30 with something like half a days TA work forty or fifty miles away. Never, ever, have been offered work as a science teacher, or even as a teacher at all. I would give an agency four to six weeks, give up on them and join another one, and so it went on, eight or nine times.

Eventually, I stopped bothering as, not only had I to pay for a new CRB with each agency, after a few months, previous ones were chasing me for a renewal of my CV, as I had 'not worked for them'. Sometimes, I try to rekindle interest with a previous agency, only to be met with accusation 'you have not done any work for us', which is galling.
    Please, somebody, tell me what I have done wrong!

8. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Sorry if I am repeating anyone's advice, but have you rung/written to schools directly? I got lots of work - in one school particularly that way. LAs pay you according to your current pay scale, as opposed to agencies, which pay a flat rate. Good luck x

9. I sent out a mailshot to nearly every school within a 20 mile radius. A few replied but all negative.

10. If my experience is anything to go by..... plan a few days out with friends. The phone will ring in the morning when you plan to be doing something else that day! (It's happened to me on 6/6 days so far.)
    I've had a similar experience with agencies (I'm also a scientist but MPS6 rather than UPS). There have been phone calls from lots of agencies wanting to sign me up and claiming to have some long term placements on their books. When I've insisted on written/emailed details of the vacancies some have been very evasive, but have claimed to be overwhelmed with day to day cover throughout the area. The agencies that I have approached have only been interested in NQTs or MPS1s.....
    I've refused to accept TA or CS work and am currently with the one agency that hasn't given me as much BS as the others. Work is picking up, but as I'm fussy about where I will go I don't expect to be innundated. Most days I've been doing general cover but TBH it's less frustrating than covering a science lesson without a practical!

11. Have you thought about making yourself available for primary KS2 at least. You could end up with science or a bunch of other stuff but plans are usually left or you could have some science type things ready to tackle. It turns out my long term placement have me in as a cover supervisor and not a teacher as plans are left but I am paid the teachers flat rate however agency refusing to pay to scale after 2 weeks due to job description but I am reaching stuff I haven't done in years or ever before such as French so it is manageable. Maybe all the work in your area is going to CSs??

12. TBH my most enjoyable days have been those involving PE, art and dance. Given a choice between child minding (general cover) with relatively happy compliant secondary students for £100 versus actively trying to teach uncooperative KS3 & KS4 science classes for £100 it's a no brainer.
    There's huge pressure to accept TA/CS pay rates but I'd rather work less often for the same overall pay. As for KS2... give me a stroppy teenager any day!