1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get rid of cradle cap?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by minxyfish, Mar 4, 2011.

1. As the title says, really...she doesn't have a mega bad case of it, more like bad case of dandruff, with the odd patch being a bit more crusty. We were using Dentinox shampoo every night from 8 weeks, but when it ran out 3 weeks ago I didn't bother to buy more as it clearly hasn't worked.
    We've tried olive oil, but I hate her going to bed like an oil slick. I've dry-brushed it, scrubbed it with her baby brush when shampooing. I scratched it with my nail (Iknow, I know), but nothing works!
    She's 21 weeks now, her hair's really thickening up and I want it to look lovely!
    Any tips, ladies? x

2. As the title says, really...she doesn't have a mega bad case of it, more like bad case of dandruff, with the odd patch being a bit more crusty. We were using Dentinox shampoo every night from 8 weeks, but when it ran out 3 weeks ago I didn't bother to buy more as it clearly hasn't worked.
    We've tried olive oil, but I hate her going to bed like an oil slick. I've dry-brushed it, scrubbed it with her baby brush when shampooing. I scratched it with my nail (Iknow, I know), but nothing works!
    She's 21 weeks now, her hair's really thickening up and I want it to look lovely!
    Any tips, ladies? x

3. put the olive oil on before bath time. then comb through. wash out during bath. itshould work. x

4. Excellent, thank you. Will give it a whirl as of tomorrow x

5. the only thing that worked for our LO was this tip from my SIL:
    mix a teaspoon of bicarb of soda with johnsons baby shampoo into a paste. Put it on and rub for a couple of mins then rinse. do it for a few days and i swear it will disappear!

6. Dentinox baby shampoo worked well for my LO

7. Before his bath I put baby oil on LO's head and then brushed his hair with a baby brush. I brushed back and forth, side to side and loads came out...it made a right mess! Then I washed his hair in the bath so it wasn't all oily. I only did this once more as it got rid of so much so quickly!

8. I also used dentinox shampoo. Jemima had quite bad cradle cap but it was gone within a week.

9. Try the olive oil again- but comb with a nit comb- this ai found really helped to lift it out of hair like nothing else.

10. I also recommend the use of a nit comb to gently lift and comb it out once it has softened after a bath and hair wash...My second had it dreadfully for months on end.
    Look for the metal nit combs that have rounded ends to the tines on the comb rather than the cheap white plastic ones as the plastic ones can scratch.

11. Boots cradle cap cream :) It comes in a purpley box. Put it on a few hours before bed then brush out and wash with dentinox.

12. Tea tree oil in the bath every few days is preventative x