1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get disaffected and atheistically inclined year 10 or 11 GCSE students to engage with the God Question?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jan 23, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I had this problem in 2007 and was really tearing my hair out. One weekend I started to explore images which arise from life and the natural world, linking them with texts from different religions. The exercise took over my day and continued for most of the night.

On Monday I printed out the resulting document which I called a poem and after work read through it aloud, in preparation for using it the next day. I wanted to know how long it would take to read it. It took about ten minutes. But to my amazement, reading it through took me into a different 'state of being' or consciousness - and I was held in this state of blessedness for some time. Sounds 'way out' but it is absolutely true. I do practise meditation and have occasionally had deep spiritual experiences - and this was one.

I decided to read the poem onto a sound system I could use in class - so I could play it and 'police' the class at the same time. In fact the students listened with wrapped attention. I was really excited that it was something special and wanted to publish it - but it was created on a flow of inner inspiration and when I read it using the mind I wanted to make changes - mostly additions. I wanted to cover the whole issue of good and evil, the whole question of suffering. I worked on it for several months but eventually ran out of inspiration and was too busy with other things to bother with it.

Now I am trying to organise my life towards becoming a businesswoman and decided that resources such as this one might as well be useful, accessible from the TES resources here than stuck in inaccessible ancient files on an external hard drive where I store past material - or in paper form on files which block up my living space and gather dust.

So here are two versions of the poem - neither of them is the original one. I took the most recent one I'd been working on for the version that includes and exploration of suffering and evil and then just removed that middle bit for the version which does not (there is a line of asterisks to mark where the section was taken out.

If and when I come across the original poem I will attach that as another file in this section but for now at least something is up there which you may find useful. I would appreciate any comments and ratings you may like to give and this helps others to find it too.

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

and now with some formatting - sorry I forgot -

I had this problem of trying to engage my year 10 GCSE classes with the God Question, in 2007 and was really tearing my hair out in frustration. The school I taught in is in Norfolk and apparently that is the most atheistic county. Even many of the other staff were against RE.

One weekend I started to explore images which arise from life and the natural world, linking them with texts from different religions. The exercise took over my day and continued for most of the night.

On Monday I printed out the resulting document which I called a poem and after work read through it aloud, in preparation for using it the next day. I wanted to know how long it would take to read it.

It took about ten minutes. But to my amazement, reading it through took me into a different 'state of being' or consciousness - and I was held in this state of blessedness for some time. (Sounds 'way out' but it is absolutely true. I do practise meditation and have occasionally had deep spiritual experiences - and this was one.)

I decided to read the poem onto a sound system I could use in class - so I could play it and 'police' the class at the same time. In fact the students listened with wrapped attention.

I was really excited that it was something special and wanted to publish it - but it was created on a flow of inner inspiration and when I read it using the mind I wanted to make changes - mostly additions. I wanted to cover the whole issue of good and evil, the whole question of suffering.

I worked on this for several months but eventually ran out of inspiration and was too busy with other things to bother with it. Now I am trying to organise my life towards becoming a business-woman and decided that resources such as this one might as well be useful, accessible from the TES resources here than stuck in inaccessible ancient files on an external hard drive where I store past material - or in paper form on files which block up my living space and gather dust.

So here are two versions of the poem - neither of them is the original one (not uncovered that yet). I took the most recent one I'd been working on for the version that includes and explores suffering and evil and then just removed that middle bit for the version which does not. (There is a line of asterisks to mark where the section was taken out. If and when I come across the original poem I will attach that as another file in this section but for now at least something is up there which you may find useful.

I would appreciate any comments and ratings you may like to give and this helps others to find it too.