1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get a 7 month old to take water?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MLT, Jun 2, 2011.

1. MLT

MLT

This may sound like a silly title, but I'm getting desperate. My LO has never taken water. She takes two sips and then refuses to drink anymore. I've tried diluted orange juice, flavoured water (the ones from boots), I even watered down her milk but she saw through that one. My mother suggested sugar water and I'm getting desperate enough to try it.
    The only three times she has taken more then 2-3 sips is when I have soaked a rusk in it. However this no longer works.
    I've tried cups and different bottles, but she ain't fooled.
    We <strike>barely</strike> got through the last heat wave and we have managed to avoid any sever consitpation because of daily massages, but this is getting serious.

2. MLT

MLT

This may sound like a silly title, but I'm getting desperate. My LO has never taken water. She takes two sips and then refuses to drink anymore. I've tried diluted orange juice, flavoured water (the ones from boots), I even watered down her milk but she saw through that one. My mother suggested sugar water and I'm getting desperate enough to try it.
    The only three times she has taken more then 2-3 sips is when I have soaked a rusk in it. However this no longer works.
    I've tried cups and different bottles, but she ain't fooled.
    We <strike>barely</strike> got through the last heat wave and we have managed to avoid any sever consitpation because of daily massages, but this is getting serious.

3. Try soaking a sponge in water and let her chew it

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Is she too young to have some mushed up homemade ice-lolly ... or even hold it on the stick?
    Sorry, I've already forgotten what 7 months old can do!

5. blueone

blueone New commenter

have you tried giving it to her on a spoon?

6. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Charlotte would not take water at all until just after she had turned 7 months old when suddenly started to love it. It coincided with us buying her a Doidy cup on a couple of recommendations
    www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dbaby&field-keywords=doidy+cup&sprefix=doidy+cupx

7. My 6 month old is happy to suck a flannel so I do it that way!

8. MLT

MLT

Thanks everyone. I've tried giving it to her on a spoon but again this only worked for a short amount of time. Similarly the flannel, but I will go back and try both.
    My OH tried giving her ice and it was to cold then melted.
    M

9. MLT

MLT

I should add that we re-try eveything after a few days or a week. But so far no luck.
    The cup looks interesting. She already has a teething cup (with lid) that she can't get to grips with. Everything flows just to quickly for her liking. However the bottles are getting frustrating because she can't get anything out quickly enough!

10. My little boy does that a lot of the time too, or sometimes actually spits it halfway across the kitchen!! I figure that at least some must be going down and he occasionally takes 2-3 gulps, but never any more than that at a time. Apparently as a baby I was the same and the doctor recommended cooled sugar free jelly (before you put it in fridge obviously [​IMG]. My Mum said that I lived on mainly this for months as I wasn't a big eater and I have turned out ok! No problem with eating now (more the opposite!) and I like to drink water so it can't last forever!! x

11. I had to persevere with my boy to get him to take water happily. He did a lot of taking in his mouth and letting it run out too. We found the cheapie tommee tippee cups (they're under 2 quid, get them in asda, tesco, etc) to be the best. Anything with a soft teat he bit and pulled with his gnashers.
    Can you move her up a teat size if she's not getting milk out fast enough?
    I know you said she doesn't really like fruit other than melon, but try little oranges or a nice juicy peach? She may change her mind.

12. Luckily my 16 month old takes water well now but she didn't when she was that age- it's pretty gross I know but after refusing water from her cup, she used to lean forward and drink her bath water!! Haha. I then soaked the sponge in water from the tap and she liked that. We were bf though so I guess she was getting water from me. The warm water is a good idea too- keep trying that- I drink warm water and she always has a good gulp of that.

13. Hi MLT, I just wanted to let you know what happened today in case it helps you out with your water problem. My husband and I went to a wedding yesterday and my Mum and Dad had LO. When my Mum came to give him his tea, I had forgotten to put his cup in the bag. They didn't have any spare cups and wanted to make sure that he got some water so she tried him with some from an egg cup and he drank loads!!! Obviously using egg cups isn't that practical long term, so this afternoon I tried him with his normal TT cup (just the cheap free flow one) without the lid and he opened his mouth wide and took some big gulps!! I couldn't believe it! So it seems he just wants an open cup, so perhaps you could try it?? x

14. My little man loves an open cup - it's his favourite part of mealtimes! I just use a beaker or a shot glass (classy I know)

15. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

We too had major problems with drinking water until LO was way past a year. The main problem was that he didn't like it from a closed baby cup so we had a doidy cup at first. He now happily drinks from any adult open cup, glass or mug and even mineral water bottles, and I haven't bothered with baby cups for weeks. What I found was that he was, and still is, more than happy to drink anything I was drinking from my cup of course, so he gets a fair bit of fennel and chamomile tea and water with lemon which is what I normally drink all day! Perhaps the warm water thing is more appealing as a cooled down herb tea? At least it has a bit of flavour. I would also offer liquids throughout the day, separate from eating. A friend of mine's LO will only drink around 5pm after having refused the smallest sip all day. LOs have strange routines, we just have to find out what they are.

16. Don't worry he's not drinking much at 7 months. They should be getting enough milk in the day to sustain them anyway. I've bought hundreds of drinking cups for my two boys, but always come back to the easy flow Tommy Tippee. It does pour out of their mouths at first, but as they get older they get better at it!
    In the meantime, by 7 months olds used to love jelly. But you'll find by the time they're one, when the milk is starting to cut back, they'll drink loads!